Inexpensive set-up for brass and aluminum?

1982fxr

hi, I came on a few months ago when I had more money hoping to get set-up with a decent rig for eventually doing guns (if I ended up having any talent).

Well, Income is down so I was wondering what the price range would be for me to get a decent machine just for practicing on brass and aluminum for maybe a year or 2...?

Or is it pretty much the same deal where if you want a decent machine you have to spend the bucks?

Just wondering if engraving on softer metal can get me in the game cheaper.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
hi, I came on a few months ago when I had more money hoping to get set-up with a decent rig for eventually doing guns (if I ended up having any talent).

Well, Income is down so I was wondering what the price range would be for me to get a decent machine just for practicing on brass and aluminum for maybe a year or 2...?

Or is it pretty much the same deal where if you want a decent machine you have to spend the bucks?

Just wondering if engraving on softer metal can get me in the game cheaper.
yup if your looking at power assist $$$$ hammer and chisel is the poor mans road (Im on it now and have a little less than $40 bucks into it, BUT I make my own tools...

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can often find a Gravermister on the buy sell section. It is the original GRS system and is capable of doing fantastic engraving in the right hands. The compressor is built into the unit and it is rather noise. I used the system to do a wide range of engraving as have many others on this forum. Mine is still running and being used since 1979. Lots of bell and whistles have been added and even the basic way it functions are different from other newer machines but it is a great way to get into power assist for not a lot of money. Fred

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Try hammer and chisel as well as push graving. Push graving all you need is a couple of gravers to get started. Walking a flat graver through your metal choices is a good place to start.

John

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Hammer and chisel is your cheapest way to get started.

Metal choice: some aluminums and brasses are really sticky, depending on the alloy. Some cut beautifully. If you find yourself frustrated, try switching to a different piece. You might be surprised at how consistently steel cuts.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Hammer & chisel don't get no respect because the learning curve is much higher that the power assist route. Keep in mind all engraving started with H & C. Check out the exquiste Belgian engravers all working with h & C.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
some engravers are snobby when it comes to tools. you'll notice that the very finest engraving being done today is with the "hammer & chisel". for the budget -minded, there's no better way to start. you may already have the stuff needed to start this journey. start your journey in the tips section. the search bar will get you started on a fascinating trip.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
some engravers are snobby when it comes to tools. you'll notice that the very finest engraving being done today is with the "hammer & chisel". for the budget -minded, there's no better way to start. you may already have the stuff needed to start this journey. start your journey in the tips section. the search bar will get you started on a fascinating trip.
Best advice there! I am personally still following it!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you'll notice that the very finest engraving being done today is with the "hammer & chisel".

Monk, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that statement. Even European engravers like Alain Lovenberg use air power for some of their work, not to mention Phil and Simon Coggan, Ken and Marcus Hunt. On this side of the Atlantic, all but a very few use power assisted gravers. In fact it would be easier to name the few who use only H&C than to name all of the top people in the US who use power assist.

With all of that said, I think it is great for beginners to learn H&C as all of us old timers did. Especially if it is a hobby, what's the rush.

monk

Staff member
well, sir-- i didn't mean that as an all-encompassing statement-- just a way of saying that the technique has & is producing some very fine work. perhaps i should choose my words more carefully. my apology to any and all i may have offended.

JackJellies

As a relative newbie I will share that I started by pushing in silver and copper. $100-200 will get you some nice gravers and ways to sharpen them. Search youtube for hand engraving, many great ones, including Sam's on hand pushing. Spend lots of time learning to sharpen or buy some templates.

My second investment that wa really a game changer was a GRS standard vise. I think you can do a great deal before jumping into the air assists. That said, once I spent the moola on it, wow! It really upped my learning curve. Good luck and happy cutting.

monk

Staff member
nice to hear you took the plunge. once you try the power way, it's an addiction that's hard to break. not only the shorter curve, but if you like earning money, well, that's a plus for sure. the power way combined with pattern transfer techniques make for a real savings in project time.

Latest posts

Sponsors