chisel Handel's done

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
OK so I posted my handles before and received a boat load of great advice THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for the critique and know that I appreciate it greatly! !! I am not a wood worker by any stretch of the imagination and I tried to make some handles out of cherry, total failure on my part. after frustrating myself more than a one legged cat in the litter box trying to bury a turd I gave it up.BUT I decided that lightweight might be the way to go so I made 6 new handlesite out of 6061 aluminum. 4 of which are3/4" 2are 1/2" they have steel but caps so as to not mushroom the end. So here they all are to include the heavyweight SS ones. As always all comments are welcome!

Attachments

• 20150105_170759-1.jpg
    20150105_170759-1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 320

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Nice! Didn't even look at the date of the previous handle thread, still fascinating. I like that you put steel caps on these, great work. I have a heavy hand at engraving, so weight is never a problem. My standard hammer is 12 oz. , sometimes 16 oz. when I'm really hogging material. How long are these handles ?

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Nice! Didn't even look at the date of the previous handle thread, still fascinating. I like that you put steel caps on these, great work. I have a heavy hand at engraving, so weight is never a problem. My standard hammer is 12 oz. , sometimes 16 oz. when I'm really hogging material. How long are these handles ?
Steve the longest ones are 6" then they go down by approximately 3/4" to 1" in length respectively, ironically the SS ones are the heaviest and the shortest..thanks for the positive comments!

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
They are some very nice work. I hope you find satisfaction in taping you will hear for years to come. Fred
Fred, that made me laugh! I am very used to hearing the tap tap tap! My other hobby is leather working (tooling leather is a lot of tap tap tap!!) Thanks for the kind words!

Larry Simmons

Me Too!!!!!

I'm a leather tooler too! I'm using craftool,Barry King,and HideCrafter. What kind of stitchers do you use? I see we all have an interest in engraving since we are really engraving leather! Give me a call if you want to talk, 918-852-2344 Larry.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
I'm a leather tooler too! I'm using craftool,Barry King,and HideCrafter. What kind of stitchers do you use? I see we all have an interest in engraving since we are really engraving leather! Give me a call if you want to talk, 918-852-2344 Larry.

I have some Hidecrafter pebble backgrounders that I love to use also.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Heck no. I am a die engraver, not a gun engraver. A 12 oz. hammer is just right. Anything less would not provide the weight I need. I've actually removed as much as 2 lbs. of steel from a die. Some of those cuts can be pretty heavy with hammer and chisel.

Last edited:

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Heck no. I am a die engraver, not a gun engraver. A 12 oz. hammer is just right. Anything less would not provide the weight I need. I've actually removed as much as 2 lbs. of steel from a die. Some of those cuts can be pretty heavy with hammer and chisel.
Regular ball peen?!!! or a fancy hand made job I want to see one!

Latest posts

Sponsors