Help, please: Microscope set up

ELH

I have been in the fine jewelry biz for years as a gemologist and jeweler but new to hand engraving. I want to add some engraving techniques to the custom work i offer. Actually received some of my gear past couple of weeks... I have looked at some of your pics. Simply amazing and inspiring! I have set up my Gravermach G8, 901 hand piece. I am currently waiting for my sharpening tools to arrive. I am having difficulty with my microscope, a Meiji EMT-2 mounted on Acrobat stand. i can't seem to get a comfortable working distance.... only 2 inches from bottom of light ring to top of my ball vice. that can't be right, can it???? suggestions, ideas, input please.. Thanks in advance :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what power is the objective lens in your scope. most using the scopes gravitate to using a .5 objective lens. these are threaded, and will screw into the lens cell of your scope. the objective cuts the power in half. at the same time doubles the working distance for your hands. most newbies with the scope think you need maximum power for engraving. actually with the .5 objective, there's more than enough optical magnification for most ordinary engraving.
i'd suggest you start playing with the main knobs on the scope. you will likely get nearly 4" of clearance with the normal objective if that's what's onboard your scope.

ELH

Monk, Thanks for responding. I have placed the 10X objectives from my gem scope placed in the Meiji EMT-2 and using a .5X lens and adapter. I have tried making adjustments & playing with it off and on for the past week. Ha, About ready to send it back and save a few more pennies for the EMZ-5. but, thought i would give it a few more tries with some experienced folks.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If I understand the specs correctly, it has a maximum working distance is 81mm (3.1") which is waaaay to close for most people. You can only use 1x or 3x objectives which will reduce the working distance even more. It's not a zoom scope so you're locked in to one magnification unless you change the objective and eyepieces. Bottom line: I don't think this is a suitable microscope for bench work. The Meiji EMZ-5 is the proven standard.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
RETURN THE SCOPE !!!

Then, as Sam says get the proper Meiji ,or search the forum for other recommendations.
You can't be that far from Sam or another engraver, so get permission to visit and see firsthand what works.

ELH

Thank you for the direction! I chose the EMT-2 because it was about 1/2 the cost of the EMZ-5. I'll check the classifieds, but b4 i do ... Does anyone know of an EMZ-5 that is available ? Thanks again for the help :)

monk

Staff member
my uneducated guess would be the scope was a"fixed focus" type. not a zoom stereo model. you want specifically a "zoom stereo scope". the fixed focus type works for jewelry stores & such as they use these primarily to look at stones to show customers.

monk

Staff member
what about ebay ? some bargains can be had- but don't get in a hurry. it took me about 6 weeks to finally get a "bargain" scope at a very good price. the key is "zoom" stereo. if it comes with a .5 objective, all the better. make sure you review the return policy of the seller. some specify "as is". i'd pass on anything that's sold "as is". generally, an as is sale will bring problems. who wants to make lemonaide in the winter ?!!

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
eBay has a boat load of EMZ5s on there....was tempted at one point to buy one but then Silverchip and others kept singing the praises of Leica....Sooo I'm going to give the Leica A60 a good looking over at the FEGA Show in a couple weeks.

Donny

ELH

Thanks everyone for the input! I have boxed up the Meiji 2 and sending it out today. Thanks Silverchip, for the heads up on the Leica. I'll take a look at it as well as Don's suggestion on the EMZ5's on Ebay.

Thanks again!
Eddie

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I've had my Leica A60-F for a week and love it. Bought it from Tira Mitchell. Cost about $1950.00 delivered with 0.63 objective, Arm, LED ring light. Basically, everything you need to see your work with the microscope. I've never used or even looked through another microscope, so others, who have, will need to give you their opinion. I can tell you, I can see crystal clear and can move my work up / down about 3 inches (yep, I measured it) before needing to refocus on 5 magnification. I have used a #3 opti-visor for the past 5 years, so 5 magnification is awesome! Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

ELH

Thanks Michael. Yes, I know Leica has nice optics for rifles. Hadn't thought about Leica microscopes until reading the forum. Im looking forward to working under a microscope. Ive been using an Opti-visor for stone setting for 20+ years. The eyes can use a little help now! I'll check out the Leica. Thanks again!

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Yes the Lieca a60 the way to go. If every you need help Tira is always just a phone call away to help with your needs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors