Help, please: Can't see pencil drawing under microscope!

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Just started engraving under my Leica A60-F microscope with LED light ring. I can see a scribed line but cannot see a pencil mark at all through scope.:no: I have tried adjusting the lights in the room and on the scope, from dim to bright. Even traced over my drawing with a fine point sharpie / could barely see it. I can see my drawing as plain as day with my bare eyes but nothing through scope. Optics are clean, focused, and clear. Objects are crystal clear, just not anything I draw. Any help will be much appreciated!

mrthe

You need a lateral
loght source to see better the pencil draw instead the ring light ;)

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Thx!. Just tried tilting my vice and could then see my drawing. Will try turning lights off / using light from the side like you suggest MRTHE.:thumbsup:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

This is what Paulo meant by a secondary light source from a different angle works great!

Saludos,
Carlos

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I draw on Chinese white. I had a couple of clip on LED lights from Lowes clipped to the mill. Clipped on each side of the scope arm / now I can see. Once I get main lines cut, LED ring light comes back on. It sure is different cutting trough the scope. Having to learn as I go. Couldn't see when I first set it up / my wife said tilt the scope. I have one eye higher than the other and I was only seeing with my right eye. I always knew I wasn't right!:beatup:
I can tell I'm already cutting better, esp. where lines intersect / judging width. Thx again for all the help from everyone!:thumbsup:

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
That's exactly what I do except my ring light is florescent and my secondary light is a Dazor incandescent. :)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Graphite is shiny and reflects light, and that's why its difficult to see. I have a side mounted Wolf EcoFlex LED that really helps with this. When the ring light shines directly down on the pencil marks they can be next to impossible to see.