Help, please: Can't see pencil drawing under microscope!

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Just started engraving under my Leica A60-F microscope with LED light ring. I can see a scribed line but cannot see a pencil mark at all through scope.:no: I have tried adjusting the lights in the room and on the scope, from dim to bright. Even traced over my drawing with a fine point sharpie / could barely see it. I can see my drawing as plain as day with my bare eyes but nothing through scope. Optics are clean, focused, and clear. Objects are crystal clear, just not anything I draw. Any help will be much appreciated!

mrthe

You need a lateral
loght source to see better the pencil draw instead the ring light ;)

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Thx!. Just tried tilting my vice and could then see my drawing. Will try turning lights off / using light from the side like you suggest MRTHE.:thumbsup:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

This is what Paulo meant by a secondary light source from a different angle works great!

Saludos,
Carlos

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I draw on Chinese white. I had a couple of clip on LED lights from Lowes clipped to the mill. Clipped on each side of the scope arm / now I can see. Once I get main lines cut, LED ring light comes back on. It sure is different cutting trough the scope. Having to learn as I go. Couldn't see when I first set it up / my wife said tilt the scope. I have one eye higher than the other and I was only seeing with my right eye. I always knew I wasn't right!:beatup:
I can tell I'm already cutting better, esp. where lines intersect / judging width. Thx again for all the help from everyone!:thumbsup:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Graphite is shiny and reflects light, and that's why its difficult to see. I have a side mounted Wolf EcoFlex LED that really helps with this. When the ring light shines directly down on the pencil marks they can be next to impossible to see.

Latest posts

Sponsors