Question: Metal wire for inlay

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Mike, one detail not mentioned is that the part into which you are going to inlay (in this case a slide) needs to be very solidly mounted so there is no bounce. If it can give at all, when you hit the punch, any give will keep the wire from completely setting into the cavity and therefore not lock in and that first hit will have work hardened that spot and will give trouble. Solidly mounted you should not have any problem setting the wire.

John, you are right I think. When I first bought wire for this type use it was labeled as soft iron (many years ago) and I have used the term ever since. I expect it is some formula of mild steel.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone. It has been very educational and helpful to read all the replies.

Thanks for the info Sam (the other one). I will make sure it is mounted solidly.

Mike

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos,

I have filled in defects on semi auto slides, frames, loading levers, etc. The most extensive was on both sides of a Llama 380, which came without the 1911 swoops at the front. I milled in the swoops, and found that they had brazed on the recoil spring tunnel with what looked like copper. I filled the lines with soft rebar ties, and had the gun hot blued. You cannot see the repair at all.

Latest posts

Sponsors