1 of 2

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am late on this Alain but I too have to say this is just amazing!! You do so many styles and all of the perfect! It is a wonder just to study them.
Rex

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Alain-

I've now looked at the photos of those H&W take-down bolt rifles at least 5-6 times and your work is absolutely mesmerizing. To be honest, I'm of much the same opinion as the German gunmaker regarding the style of ornamentation (not my taste- a little of that sort of thing goes a long ways in my book), but the work itself is absolutely incredible. The multiple layers of depth, the mechanical precision of both the layout & execution, the masterful mix of such a wide range of techniques, presumably both hand & machine- it's unbelievable.

Would you mind giving at least a brief overview of the techniques involved, the complex layout process, the order in which work progressed, etc.? Maybe start a new thread, obviously not a full tutorial, but some reasonably detailed explanation as to how you did this? Just to give us some appreciation of what an involved process this level of work entails? I'm sure many would appreciate a bit more information about this magnificent work, thanks.

:graver:

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Mitch,

thank you for your comment!
You are right, it was a complex work to do, especially the design which didn't came so easily.
I will try to find the time to explain the different techniques I have used , both hand and machine.

A remark concerning the machine, there is always a confusion between the mass production machinery and a single engraving machine which is just a tool among the others.( Just like a lathe or a milling machine)
Even if it is a good help, there is no miracle, it cannot do everything!
There is always a man who guide the machine and the fine work is still made by hand.

Hi Alain-

I've now looked at the photos of those H&W take-down bolt rifles at least 5-6 times and your work is absolutely mesmerizing. To be honest, I'm of much the same opinion as the German gunmaker regarding the style of ornamentation (not my taste- a little of that sort of thing goes a long ways in my book), but the work itself is absolutely incredible. The multiple layers of depth, the mechanical precision of both the layout & execution, the masterful mix of such a wide range of techniques, presumably both hand & machine- it's unbelievable.

Would you mind giving at least a brief overview of the techniques involved, the complex layout process, the order in which work progressed, etc.? Maybe start a new thread, obviously not a full tutorial, but some reasonably detailed explanation as to how you did this? Just to give us some appreciation of what an involved process this level of work entails? I'm sure many would appreciate a bit more information about this magnificent work, thanks.

:graver:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A remark concerning the machine, there is always a confusion between the mass production machinery and a single engraving machine which is just a tool among the others.( Just like a lathe or a milling machine)
Even if it is a good help, there is no miracle, it cannot do everything!
There is always a man who guide the machine and the fine work is still made by hand.

Just so we're clear, Alain, if you've managed to take advantage of some machine capability in your work, I'm all the more impressed! It takes a tremendous amount of experience, creativity, & skill to use so many techniques & technologies so well, and the end result is elevated, not diminished in any way, by your ability to use them all. Regardless of exactly HOW you did it, the work is spectacular.