Ring engraving

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What type of metal is the engraved gold portion attached to? My eyes are drawn to the ragged border of what appears to be gold solder where the gold and the gray metal join.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very pretty, Sam. But Doc is right, you need to clean up that join line. The engraving and stone work are to your usual high standards.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think it's oxidized silver but I'm not sure. It was made by a student. The solder seam isn't my department :cool:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam my Friend, did you fabricate this ring yourself? It is a most unusual design. Never seen anything quite like it. At first I thought it was a signet ring with plenty of reshaping It is unique and engraving, what is there to say it is an Alfano-Fred

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Do you know the sizes of the stones? It would put thie ring in scale. The pears look to be 5x3's or 6x4's with the side stones 2.5mm or 3mm. It would make the overall width 13-18mm, which is a pretty wide ring. It is beautifully done, and when seen unaided in actual size, the solder joint would be barely visible.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think it's oxidized silver but I'm not sure. It was made by a student. The solder seam isn't my department :cool:

I don't think that is oxidized silver. The ring may be made out of yellow and white gold, whether or not casted, and soldered together in case the ring is made out two gold alloys.
It could as well be casted in yellow gold.
In both scenarios the white part will be covered with the metal Rhodium by electroplating that because whether on yellow or white gold, the white gold is never as white as Rhodium.
Electroplating whit Rhodium is also done on silver to prevent it from getting oxidized black.

Now if you want to "Rhodiate" only part of a surface, you need to cover the part that you want to keep Rhodium free whit something like nail polish.
But of course when you look at the result whit a lot of magnification you will see the border.

BTW, nice engraving of course. :)

arnaud

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
pretty and unusual. i like the contrasts combined with the overall design and engraving.

Latest posts

Sponsors