Critique Request Monogram for mom

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Been playing around with monograms for my mom for a couple days. Looking at something different than your typical monogram. My idea is for this to be on 14k white X1 pendant.

After playing around with a few this one just seems to stick with me. Sorta art deco'ish

(JA)

thoughts?

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I see the JA but I feel as if the J and the A, when I look at it, are from different fonts...which kinda throws off the aesthetic flow for me. The J looks too aggressive in style compared to the A. I would soften the J using the feel of the A as your guide. This is just how I feel after looking at the monogram. I'm sure MUCH more qualified folks on here will chime in and give you much better advice.

Donny

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
well that's sorta what I went for = ) so at least that came across to lol I wanted a contrast where the A is smooth I made the J sharp. If that concept is a no go it wouldn't be hard to round out the point of the J and add a couple knobs up top and it would me "smoother" Me and the other engraver at work clash on monogram designs. To him it should be so complex you cant read it, but to me if I cant read it then whats the point..

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike Dubber said in one of his videos that one should use the same designed font for lettering as calligraphers designed them. Since we are not calligraphers it's important to leave the designing up to the calligraphers. In other words, don't mix and match. It's hard to make that work.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, it looks like it would work. cut in a piece of scrap, then it will be more telling. personally i like it except the bottom right side of the j-- i'd bring that in a bit closer. that would ring for me. as for complex monograms-- yes they can be beautiful. having said that-- i'd sooner see readable than very complex. i've done work in old english. not complex by any means, and recvd. complaints that people can't read it. oh well, so much for what is no longer taught in schools these days !

Latest posts

Sponsors