Question: Review/feedback-Inexpensive Carbide Gravers

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan,

Here it is

Ok guys here is a video I made some time ago explaining the whole process, it is currently in upload status as of now but it should be live sometime today 1/1/2015 if for some reason it does not work, by tomorrow please let me know, if I would change something in the sharpening process, I would not dip it in water I would just let it air cool. Video is not public only available to the engraving community here on the cafe.
Just remembered something I also made that dust collection that I mentioned so I no longer use a mask and I use mineral oil for all my oil needs you can find that at walgreens, its meant for ingestion, so if its safe enough for ingestion is safe enough on my hands or ears or wherever
else I might scratch, or safe enough so when my daughters come busting in my shop and need me to apply an emergency band aid..hahha enjoy guys

I have upgraded to a GRS power hone but this set up served me just fine, the detailed grinding I always did by hand, the drill press was only used for the rough grinding.

Just saw the video again, cut the dang things no need to keep it 3 inches long, unless you have some giant hands
There is also a little bonus on a cheap power hone set up and sanding disks
http://youtu.be/aXDkUBZAuXg

Last edited:

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos, the video is great thank you very much. Nunca se puede decir que uno tan joven no le puede ensenyar algo nuevo a uno tan viejo como yo! Gracias!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, the video is great thank you very much. Nunca se puede decir que uno tan joven no le puede ensenyar algo nuevo a uno tan viejo como yo! Gracias!
Sanch,

Glad I was of some help, I was reading your a bladesmith, what exactly does that encompass? because I myself am learning to make knives as we speak

Saludos,
Carlos

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Sanch,

Glad I was of some help, I was reading your a bladesmith, what exactly does that encompass? because I myself am learning to make knives as we speak

Saludos,
Carlos
Carlos it depends on your equipment and things like knowledge of moving metal un the hammer if you are forging the best place to get knowledge is any one of the forums...for stock removal (shaping of the blade you can use simple tools such as files but a grinder is much better..

Hayes

Carlos,
Thanks for the video you posted on the sharping process of the gravers. That process sure makes easy.

Hayes

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos
Love it.......many thanks.
For the rest: My son's frat wanted something "cool" and used these to cut the blades of several inexpensive pocket knives. Didn't break a tip until I started to get tired and push the graver (not letting it just cut).

Dan

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I sent them an email letting them know that the engraving world has found them and would love some 3/32" squares. Of course I'm going to order some 1/16" round to make some more John B style gravers. Mounting and inch or so of 1/16" round in 3/32" square brass lets you make great little gravers without a lot of grinding. In the past I bought 6" aircraft drill bits. From these guys I can get a 12" rod for the same cost. Considering you lose an inch at each end of a drill bit (one for the flutes, one for the soft chuck end) that's a heck of a savings.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I sent them an email letting them know that the engraving world has found them and would love some 3/32" squares. Of course I'm going to order some 1/16" round to make some more John B style gravers. Mounting and inch or so of 1/16" round in 3/32" square brass lets you make great little gravers without a lot of grinding. In the past I bought 6" aircraft drill bits. From these guys I can get a 12" rod for the same cost. Considering you lose an inch at each end of a drill bit (one for the flutes, one for the soft chuck end) that's a heck of a savings.
Steve, I asked for the same request over a year ago but they would only do it with an order over 500 to make it worth while.

Saludos,
Carlos

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Steve, I asked for the same request over a year ago but they would only do it with an order over 500 to make it worth while.

Saludos,
Carlos

If they are that good and the price is right, I'll buy 20 at least, ;)

Richard.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll bet that if they made an order of 500 - and especially if they got word of it to here - that 'we' would buy all of them. I did mention in my email that we're not a large market, but we do tend to be an appreciative one.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
50 pieces 5.59 each.
Not finished ground. 10 pieces was 13.50.
I think ten pieces finish ground was 35$ each. Not sure the bulk price on that.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
The final surface appears to be media blasted w/ approx. 60-80 grit. If using it for machining, no issues. For gravers, my preference is a better finish to help avoid getting hand grease/buildup on the graver. I find it hard to clean off the gunk on a blasted surface thereby avoiding any corrosion on the graver.

Dan

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
The final surface appears to be media blasted w/ approx. 60-80 grit. If using it for machining, no issues. For gravers, my preference is a better finish to help avoid getting hand grease/buildup on the graver. I find it hard to clean off the gunk on a blasted surface thereby avoiding any corrosion on the graver.

Dan
dura coat em! no rust or heck even cheaper flat black rustoleum!

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
I am with grumpyphil, I have lots of carbide endmills, lathe tooling, and carbide tipped saw blades, as well as some gravers, and I can't say I ever seen any rust on any of the carbide components on them, maybe it has to do with the composition of these gravers?

Richard.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Revived

ok so I had to revive this thread as it was very useful to me as a "newbie" in many ways the only "caution" I will give to other newbs is that you need to sharpen carbide with a diamond hone and wear a particulate mask I am currently using the 1/8" round micro grain with H & C and in my hand piece I as of now like to have a 50 degree face and prefer a 90 degree angle graver with parallel heels set at 15 degrees and a relieving angle of 10 degrees.. Carlos thanks again for the info and the "challenge"