Hardness Tester

Joe Street

I've done a search to see if I could find anyone using hardness testers on metal that they are going to engrave. Other than a casual mention I didn't see anything. Are these testers of any use to an engraver? Thank you for your help, Joe.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
find an area on the item that is not normally seen. make tiny micro scratches with a scriber or graver. if it digs in, it's usually soft enough to engrave. if it skates over the area, it's likely going to pose a problem to the engraver. as far as an actual hardness testing device that would be of use to an engraver, i know of none.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use Monk's method as well, but be warned that if you are Flare Cutting with flats, sometimes you can cut with a square, but when you go to use the flat, bad things can happen!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know that lots of people flare cut with flats. They're fine for cutting silver. That's the way Diane Scalese teaches it. Guns are a different matter. Many of you are familiar with my flare cutting tutorials in the Tips Archive and The Engraver magazine. I have never flare cut anything with a flat. I use only square gravers with a parallel heel. That lets you lay the graver over without going beyond the heel. In my experience flats are hard to control, chip the corners easily and if you use the traditional numbered ones (36-45) you can't get them in carbide, M42, or carbalt. The other problem with flare cutting with a flat is that it will cast up a burr that has to be sanded off. Using a 120 with a parallel heel will leave no burr at all.

Concerning a hardness tester, if you have a Rockwell or Brinell tester it will give you a number but won't tell you how the metal will cut. There is more to it than hardness alone. Best to check the list in the Tips Archive and if the gun isn't there put out a question on this forum. Chances are someone here will have had experience with that gun.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good advice given, I just do a test cut as mentioned in a place no one will be able to notice, just also remeber, some areas work harden more than others, so just becasue a test area works does not mean it will all respond the same, Just do it, you can always stick it in a potato to erase your mistakes, is that how it goes Brian?

Saludos,
Carlos

Latest posts

Sponsors