Help with my GRS Gravermax - Hand piece ID, and Sintered Disc Help

Ryan O'Shea

I recently bought a GRS GraverMax. The older tan box one.
I switched from hand engraving to this new method. And I am loving it. But. I am having trouble with this unit right out the gate.

A. I have no idea what hand piece I have. So I do not know how to adjust it correctly. (1st photo)

B. The Sintered Disc. The old (what looks like model plane fuel line -photo 2) tubing keeps splitting around this disc (photo 3). And I lose pressure and the hand piece vibrates. I fixed it the first time with some line from the foot pedal. The hand piece was instantly working excellent.
Then, today. I sat down for a practice run. And the hand piece began vibrating again and losing pressure after just 1 minute. So I opened it up and its split there again.

So. I need some help here. Can anyone ID the hand piece. And let me know the proper adjustment setting.
And second. Recommendations for the .170 tubing? Its the 1/4" x .170 inner diameter tubing from what it says in the manual.

Will the clear tubing from Jerry's work? Its exactly the size I need.
And I would really love to prevent this sintered disc from having this issue.
I will post photos if this forum allows for it. If not. Please email me so I can show the hand piece.

OH. And I am looking for a better hand piece. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 20141228_161854.jpg
    20141228_161854.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 20141228_161916.jpg
    20141228_161916.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 20141228_161825.jpg
    20141228_161825.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 143

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Your handpiece is the old workhorse 801. I engraved a million things with that handpiece. The newer 901 is better but the old 801 is still good.

You need to replace all hoses in your machine and on your handpiece. I think any standard tubing will work but someone else might have better info on that.

Read the manual on the Gravermax to see how to adjust it for proper handpiece pressure. It's easy as pie but you'll be much better off if you read the steps and learn how to adjust the regulator. Once you learn it's a 2-second adjustment. I'm sure GRS has manuals for everything on GRStools.com

Ryan O'Shea

Thanks!!

Great! Thank you! The 801. Ok. I was wondering what this puppy was. I was told it was a 901. But it didn't fit the description.
Now that I know, I can adjust the settings right.
Ok. I am off to get new hose this moment. Thanks mate!

Happy Engraving

-Ryan O'Shea

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
I went down to local farm or hardware store and bought rubber tubing that looked like the original and replaced mine. Works great.
Rod

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam answered the 801. The disk should be reinstalled in the new hose. It keeps the pressure gauge from "bouncing". It doesn't affect operation but just keeps the gauge steady. The hose you got will be fine.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yeah, Ryan, your machine has a terminal case of hardening of the arteries (ozone from the motor degrades the tubing much like UV- the cases really should be vented). it's in dire need of a quadruple bypass & full retube-o-plasty. send me a PM and we'll hook up, i've got the stuff you need.

Latest posts

Sponsors