Question: Scroll Patterns/Designs

Wheat

Basically I'm taking the beginners advice and starting to draw these scrolls. It's not that I cannot draw the scrolls I just can't find a very accurate scroll to look at. Whenever I find a decent scroll to look at it's either tiny or copyrighted by some company who wants your cash. So, I was wondering if anyone has some pictures of scrolls (preferably up-close pictures of them) that they just happen to have or a website that has pictures of them. Thanks.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
There are tons of them on this forum... go dig for 'em.

There are books and videos about 'em. But yes, that takes cash.

Everything you want is out there for "free" - but "free" costs a lot of time to find.

Eventually you will learn to take the shortcut - pay the cash and get on with it. Or not.

Lee Griffiths comes to mind. He's got an ad on this page and I can attest to his skills in teaching.

Brian

TANSTAAFL - "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." - Robert Heinlein

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Basically I'm taking the beginners advice and starting to draw these scrolls. It's not that I cannot draw the scrolls I just can't find a very accurate scroll to look at. Whenever I find a decent scroll to look at it's either tiny or copyrighted by some company who wants your cash. So, I was wondering if anyone has some pictures of scrolls (preferably up-close pictures of them) that they just happen to have or a website that has pictures of them. Thanks.

Sam Alfano sells a very good DVD: http://www.engraving-videos.com/images/dvd_catalog/dvd_info_drawing_scrolls.html

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Sam just posted some fantastic scrollwork of Ken Hunt's.
Pick up a copy of Ron Smith's "Advanced Drawing of Scrolls" at GRS ! Money well spent !

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I believe you can use about anything as long as it's limited to your personal practice only.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
But if you post your practice for "critique" and the original creator sees it - watch out.

I believe that kerfuffel has happened before, once or twice - when proper credit was not given.

Never seen a problem when you identify whose work you are imitating or using as a base.

B.

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scroll is scroll-as long as you are not copying someone's work as cut and then trying to sell it no one really cares. I know I certainly don't and truthfully I wouldn't really care if they did mind if we are talking about drawing practice. Fred

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I disagree Fred,

There is "style" that goes with scrollwork. I can tell from 6 feet away (maybe more with peepers on?), whether I am looking at Sam's, Phil Coggan's, Shawn's, Dubber's, Griffiths, Hochstrat's, etc., etc., etc.

That "style" is always a dead giveaway...

Brian

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes, copying and profiting from someone else's signature style is definitely frowned upon. McKenzie was plagued by it, Churchill withheld many photos of his work except for certain publications because he didn't want to be copied, etc. I've been asked many times if it was ok to use one of my designs for personal practice, and I really appreciate that courtesy. I have posted many designs specifically FOR practice. Be on the safe side and ask permission first, give credit where credit is due, and you should be ok if it's for personal practice and not for profit.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
go to google and select images. then type scroll drawings. find a good spine, save it, and send to to yer printer. print it in several sizes. learning the spine is easy to learn. the devil appears when all that pesky vegetation is thrown in for flavor.nobody has invented scroll on the forum. they learned the basics from those that came before them. in time, there are those that develop a "signature" style, all their own. the rudiments hark back to those that came before. the real style is developed over years of experimenting, till the "sig" style is born.

Latest posts

Sponsors