has anyone ordered from here?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
95%? (don't have the sales figures to back this up, but I do see/examine the products sold by all suppliers) of ALL diamond laps are made outside of the USA.

I use them. They are as good as the laps made here 20 years ago and they are now sold at 10% to 20% of the price most suppliers are still asking.

If you are anti-anything made in China these days, you are going to have a very expensive lifestyle.

Kinda like being anti-GMO and still wanting that corn on the cob or cornflakes. Or owning a new car with no Chinese parts.

I purchased a replacement motor for a power hone from GRS. A company that is based in the USA.

When I took the machine apart, guess what I found on the motors? "Hecho En Mexico"... (just surprised me - I quite obviously have no qualms with Mexican products)

I know for a fact that more than half of the square graver blanks used by those on this forum are Chinese products...

For or against imports is a personal choice, but your choices are becoming very very limited these days.

I've been in this all my life. I've seen the kinds of markups that "jewelry" tool suppliers get. You either live with it or find a way around it.

And you will have a very hard time getting the suppliers to tell or prove to you the true source of what you are buying...

Brian

And yes, I know there is quite a bit of junk coming from China. Leonard's favorite the "Graver Helper" is an example. (Did he ever get another one?)

When I was a very young puppy we lived in Taipei, Taiwan. We had a Chinese amah.

She once told my mother "The Chinese were the first real civilization - and we will be the last."

They are still learning. And learning amazingly fast. That day may (will?) come...

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
check on ebay. if you shop around you can get most useful grit sizes on 6" disks for an average of around 12 bucks a pop. the ones i got are of very good quality. it took about 3 weeks for them to get here, but worth the wait, as well as price. you have to buy yer own mandrels, as they don't come supplied with any.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nor do they come with the "Master Lap" that supports them. But those are relatively cheap also - and reusable as well.

The laps themselves are thin sheet metal discs and they flex without support - though I know many students who use them on drill presses this way.

I prefer using support, and having precision - as one of my "hats" is that of a facetor/stone cutter....

I have been using them since back when they were in the $20 range around 12 years ago.

You get an extra inch of diamond surface over the GRS 5" laps + the price benefit.

I'll use (and give away) a lot more now that they are in the $4 - $10 range!

Brian

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These guys do sell a master lap. Fr 3$ to 20, I think. That would get you up to about 25 tops for a lap. Not sure where that falls in line w grs prices.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would guess that the "made in Germany" along with "made in France" or "made in Switzerland" gravers and tools are from an era where the products were what they said they were.

I actually bought some of mine in those countries 30 years ago... and a few in England right where they were made.

B.

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian you know I have two graver helpers. You know I can't engrave without them.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leonard, around Christmas time you only had the one and were wishin' for another...

Guess you found another? Was it Ebay or direct from the site?

If you got instructions with yours please post them. I saw a set once and wish I had copied them down...

B.

Last edited:

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
WOAH! OPENED PANDORAS BOX DID I?!!! I cant say that I will for a fact not order from them just not from the web site it seemed to say there wasn't a shipping option for USA?

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You must have stock in Amazon Doc!

I'm through driving all over town looking for something they don't have and if they did, it's priced too high. I've ordered things such as my gas grill and even King Oscar sardines. I can have it delivered to my door in two days cheaper than driving 3-4 blocks and paying more here in town. It's the way things are going.

Recently, I needed a 2.5mm x .45 thread pitch tap. Nobody had them here in Grand Forks so I looked on Amazon. They had them. :)

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I buy a LOT of used books... once in a while I get one graded "Used - Like New" or "Used - Very Good" that don't even make "Acceptable"...

Last one had a good portion of someone's meal between the pages and 75% of the pages were marked up.

But out of the last hundred or so, only happened twice. And it ain't Amazon, it's the private sellers who put 'em on Amazon.

B.

Latest posts

Sponsors