Question: which one do i buy???

kfengraver

i want a 1911 to carry and engrave. i am looking at a ruger sr1911 and a kimber ultra cary or a colt defender. just not sure which one to get. i might sell the gun when finished engraving. so what should i do???

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was recently talking with one of my colleagues who does lots of production level engraving on 1911 style pistols. He said the Colts and Rugers both sell well not so much for the Kimbers. Overall you will get a better return on your work on a Colt.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I sold guns for 3.5 years. The Kimber sells for more new because of the name. The Colt even more so. On Colt the people who collect them want factory work only. I think you're most likely to increase the sale price of the gun with a Ruger. All three are good feeling guns.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve,

Even hard core Colt collectors will by custom engraved Government Models because there are so few original factory engraved ones available and they are so valuable that nobody will carry or shoot them.

Roger

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just be aware that Colt slides are pretty tough, and you will spend a lot of time sharpening, especially if you're flare cutting with tight tendril ends or relieved backgrounds.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger

Thanks for the update! You hear too often that Colt Collectors are so factory obsessed. Of course, the collectors probably don't carry their collectable guns, do they? But I'm sure they still want a nice Colt to carry.

Latest posts

Sponsors