Woody Ward Engraver

rlfletc

I received a Pre model 27 Smith from my father for Christmas. It was engraved by Woody Ward from Beaumont TX in the early 50's. Two of his guns were featured in Six Guns By Keith book. Any back ground or pictures of his other work would be greatly appreciated. Will post pictures shortly.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I would like to see the pictures of Mr.Ward's engravings,Texas has a history of great gun engravers. J.J.

rlfletc

Here are some pictures of the revolver.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 629
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 630
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 629
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 628
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 633

rlfletc

What can you tell me about Mr Ward? How long did he engrave, quality of work, etc?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with Mr. Ward. From what I can see of it I would consider this average quality production engraving. Artistically it's not great but it appears to be neatly done.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Examples of Woodie Ward's work are shown on pages 292 and 293 and he is mentioned in the text on page 294 of Six-Guns by Keith, a 1955 publication.

Ward is first listed in the 1956 edition of Gun Digest with pictures of his work on page 56. His address was given as: 4225 College St., Beaumont, TX.

The 1957 edition of Gun Digest lists the same address and Ward's work is shown on page 156.

The last mention of Ward that I can find is the 1958 Edition of Gun Digest where he is listed at: Rt. 1, box 927 Silsby, TX.

In Keith's book he briefly mentions that Ward was known for overlays of gold and silver scroll and figures.

Ward is listed in the back of Prudhomme's 1961 Gun Engraving Review as simply: Woddie Ward, Beaumont, Texas. There is no other mention of Ward or pictures of his work.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,

Thank you very much for your information, very nice to have person like you.
Thanks to you I got a lot of interesting info about engravers. I will wait for new posts from you, please.
Thank you again.

rlfletc

You are correct. This gun and my Fathers Colt single action are both in the book. The Colt is much more ornate. The Smith was done first then the Colt. The Smith was his carry gun for many years. Thanks. Ric.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ric,

Since it seems like your father had the guns engraved for him by Ward, it seems like he would be the person to tell us more about his connection to Ward and if Ward continued engraving guns after 1958.

RB

rlfletc

What I got from my Father is that he had the two guns engraved by him within a year or so. Then just a post card from Mr Ward a few times after that. He was going to look for them, which would give us a date. Any other information which could additional information may come from others here on this board. I will keep you posted. Thanks, Ric

Houstonrose

I grew up in Beaumont Tx and knew Woody Ward because he was a friend of my fathers. Woody was the Indian motorcycle dealer in Beaumont and later added Harley. He was artistic, avid gun collector, mechanic and suscessful business. I remember him showing us his engraved gun collection around 1952. He had a beautiful rifle with eud of the trail on it and a painting on his wall he had done with the same scene. Dad bought two motorcycles and Woody souped them both up for him. The association was from about 1944 until 1957. Woody had some mental problems in the mid fifties and took a cutting torch and cut his work up in pieces. I understood it was all of them, dozens of guns. It was a shame because it probably was something like bi-polar disorder that we have meds for now. I think his work is rare now. I was 5 when I first saw him and about 13 when I last saw him. Indian Motorcycles went bankrupt in 1953 but I think he sold Harly for a while. He was a very smart man that many respected.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Houstonse,Great story about your father and his friendship with Woody Ward,I'm an old bicker from the 1950's had two Indians and two Harley's it was a great time to cruse the roads not a lot of traffic on the road back in the 50's we road in summer,winter,snow,we just love to ride.Thanks for sharing your story with us.:thumbsup: J.J.

rlfletc

I found some postcards from Woody. Shows pictures of a pair of S&W revolvers that the factory had him engrave and are still in their museum. My fathers revolvers were done in 1955 and 1956. I will post the cards shortly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg