Critique Request practice piece

smason

Howdy, another practice piece, any critique in welcome. I have yet to have much instruction on engraving, I have just been trying to pick up what I can from here and there, so any input would be awesome.

have a great Christmas.
Steve

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh you poor thing Steve. It's too bad Brooks lives so far away from you. Wouldn't it be nice if he lived closer and you could just drop in and watch him engrave?

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not bad. Each of your scrolls have a flat spot on them. That will get better with more cutting. Might have used your cross hatching a little more conservatively but all in all not to bad - Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
any evil here will become good with practice. a couple bumps, all in all,not too bad. the border effect around the running leaves is nice. your running leaf is a bit rough, but------ it is quite consistent. the consistency here shows you're paying attention to the design process, as well as cutting. this is good.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve,

Looks nice for start, if you remember main rule each day at least one feet and the result pops up immediately.
Thanks for showing

smason

Oh you poor thing Steve. It's too bad Brooks lives so far away from you. Wouldn't it be nice if he lived closer and you could just drop in and watch him engrave?

Haraga, Both Richard and I are very busy in our shops, so I have only been to his shop once since I started this engraving deal, spent about 1/2 hour talking about engraving. Wish I could spend more time with him but were both pretty busy. I am going to spend a couple hours with Peter Swales tomorrow. Looking forward to that.

Thanks to the others for your advise.

Steve

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Steve, Just to level the playing field, I would bet that most if not all engravers beginning pieces looked pretty crude. EVEN MINE!!!! I am glad you are going down this road, You will be fine and get lots better at running your tools just as you have at building saddles and working on leather.I hope you will stop by next circle through Idaho and stay for a while.
Layer up and keep yer parts from freezin, Best wishes

Sponsors