Can I use engraving gravers to engraving to copperplate?

sybred

My last question was wrong because I mean engraving to copperplate. Is possible cut to copperplate with engraving gravers no gravers for intaglio. What is diffrent?

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Yes, copper plates are cut with gravers for intaglio printing. Wood engraving (end grain) is also done with standard gravers and used for making prints similar to intaglio. The difference is intaglio printing is done with ink in the cuts whereas wood engraving prints are done with ink on the surface, not in the cuts.

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would really suggest you take a class or purchase sam alfonso's sharpening dvd. The level of questions you're asking make me think that you're going to need somebody to show you how to do this

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Sy
Your best bet is to search on YouTube under engraving.
There are also tips listed that may help on this forum.
BUT ! Unless you do some research to locate an engraver in Slovakia, you aren't going to progress very fast. I'm sure there are numerous old timers who might be willing to show you how to get started.
Another alternative is to come to the USA on a work visa and find someone or a school to help you get started.
Talk to Katia on this forum as she is from Russia and can possibly help you find someone close to you.
I worked with several kids from Estonia while in Cody, Wyoming, years ago. They had gotten jobs on a dude ranch through an employment agency. Their airfare,room and board were part of theire compensation. Plus, it was a really cool job!
Bill Johns and Ernie Lytle are engravers there who might give you some pointers. Or save your money up and attend an engraving class before returning home.

sybred

My girlfriends her grandfather was engraver and I started with his lessons but i don't have vice I have only gravers so my grandfather make me handmade vice because it's more expensive for me but I must waiting because vice is not done. So meanwhile I want start with engraving to copperplate until I will have vice.

Last edited:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Sounds like you just want to get some practice in while waiting for the new vise and working on copper plate will be just fine. I personally would use the tools I plan to use on other metals. Nothing special is needed to practice on the copper.

monk

Staff member
i advise all newcomers to avail themselves off the wealth of information right here on the forum. amongst other things, theres info on the tips section on how to secure work without an actual vise. there are so many alternatives to any given engraving situation, that with very little effort, one can make things happen. all you need do is start reading and take notes.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, copper plates are cut with gravers for intaglio printing. Wood engraving (end grain) is also done with standard gravers and used for making prints similar to intaglio. The difference is intaglio printing is done with ink in the cuts whereas wood engraving prints are done with ink on the surface, not in the cuts.

SamW,

Thank you for the explanation, very useful, at least for me

Latest posts

Sponsors