Phil Grifnee gun pics

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you click on the "new rifle inventory list" at the bottom of that page, you will also find guns engraved by Phil Coggan and Ken Hunt.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam: it must have been a thrill & a half to meet him and get to know him. just to be in his shop where his work was done would be great.

Andrew Biggs

On my first trip to the USA, John Barraclough and I had the pleasure of Phil's company at the SCI show. Phil kindly showed us this very gun and walked us through how it was engraved.

It was a most inspiring and energising lesson and one that I've never forgotten.

What a wonderful inspiring man and awesome talent he was, and continues to be.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Phil kindly showed us this very gun and walked us through how it was engraved.

Photos are wonderful, but seeing something like this in the flesh, would really be amazing.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, it looked like Phil really did enjoy engraving this one!

Jo

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Gonza,
Thanks for posting this! As I knew about this pictures I would have loved to post this link, but for unknown reasons it was not accessible for me a few days ago.
Merry Christmas to all!
Martin

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Get ready to drool! Great stuff by the late Phil Grifnee.

http://www.sitemason.com/page/eWHGRq

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Gonza, outstanding work, thank you for sharing this :thumbsup: and these are the best photos I have seen of any engravings ever, with such close up and great resolution, you can see every cut made, excellent study material, TYVM. :tiphat:

Richard.

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
His art on these pieces leans towards surrealism...must have been a Salvador Dali inspired artist at one point...Absolutely amazing work. Thanks for these pictures

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This summer as we traveled across the country from Maryland to our new home in Colorado, we stopped at the museum in Springfield MO. I saw these pieces first hand. They are sublime.

Moreover, I was just at the NRA museum in Virginia earlier this week and saw some of the Griffnee works there as well.

I feel all aspiring American engravers should make the pilgrimage to both of these places at their earliest convenience! Go there with sketch pads and plenty of pencil lead!!!

Latest posts

Sponsors