Just got a new microscope, needed help with Field of Vision settings

Schubertmach

I just got a new engraving microscope and it seems that the field of vision is very small, even though the work is very clear. Does anyone have any helpful hints to broaden the field??:beatup:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
What kind of scope do you have and what objective lens do you have for it? Are the eyepieces 10x?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll tag in with what little I can add:
1) Make sure the scope is properly adjusted to your eyes, in particular that you have the separation between the lenses right so you're actually using both eyes.
2) If you wear glasses, take the eyecups off and just use the rubber O-rings that should have come with it. With glasses your eyes are already pretty far from the eyepieces, reducing your field of view.
3) Do you have a Barlow lens on your scope? This reduces your magnification, increases your working distance, and increases your field of view.

And mostly, yeah, the closer you look, the less you see, at least in terms of area.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
higher power = smaller field of view. lower power = larger fov. this holds true for the original objective or if a reducing objective is in use. it is something one must grow comfortable with, as such is the nature of optical systems. you will likely find it's more useful to use moderate magnification levels to do your work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors