to outline on the gold or outline on the metal that is the question

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gerry and me were having an interesting conversation on outlines when it comes to inlay and wanted to know how you guys do it and your rationale behind it, I know there is no right way and no wrong way to do this so please behave guys, as we all know there are many ways to do inlay just the same, as long as it works for you.

I've done the outline on the metal and now I'm hand pushing it on the silver itself, I'm trying this because I saw Mr. Mackenzie do this.

What are your thoughts.

in progress pic

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I outline in the steel and never in the gold. This maximizes the width of the inlay. Outline inside the gold and the inlay will appear narrower, and you also run the risk of weakening the undercut.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i do it the same as Sam, and presumably many others. in fact, if i'll be needing to cut a solid line either across an inlay or between two inlays (such as gold next to platinum), i'll leave a narrow strip of steel showing at the surface just for that purpose. another motivator is that i'd rather avoid engraving lines in 24kt gold. i'd much, much rather cut in nice, firm steel.

Latest posts

Sponsors