Question: Beginning hand-push engraving tools.

dallastornaod

I'm looking at beginning hand-push engraving. Could anyone point me towards good sources for tools to start out with?

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
Hope this can provide some help. http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?14579-My-homemade-stuff&highlight=homemade+stuff

Also, you will find there are two major ways of sharpening; the GRS Dual Angle fixture, and the Lindsay templates. For handpush I recomend you go with the GRS. The Lindsay templates produses a paralell heel, witch is great for a lot of engraving work, but proves more of a challenge for hand-push. Also the GRS system can produse any angle you want. http://www.grstools.com/tool-sharpening/sharpening-fixtures/003-570.html

Now, the second thing you should get is a vice. It is possible to work without one, but it realy will make your life a whole lot easier. http://www.grstools.com/workholding/vises-and-blocks/standard-block.html

I too do all my work with hand-push, and are quite pleased with it. It does of course take a little more practise, and I would advise you to start your career with a lot of copperplates. Play around a little with geometries, one of my favorites is a 120 degree V graver, with a 12,5 degree heel. The heel musst be so short that you barely sees it, and the face is at a steady 45 degrees. Of course, something else may work best for you.

Best of luck, and keep posting

phil

Elite Cafe Member
When I started hand push engraving I purchased brass plates to practice on. I tried many different alloys of brass and found them all extremely difficult to engrave without losing control of the tool. Alot of engravers on here said that they had no problems with brass and it was beautiful to cut. What I failed to realise at the time that most were using hammer and chisel or power assist. Even now, although i can hand cut brass i find it a real challenge. It creaks and groans and feels terrible to hand cut. To start with i would definitely recommend copper as first choice, then silver, then aluminium then pewter. Also avoid the micro heels when hand pushing and go for a longer heel.:thumbsup: It takes many many hours of practice to learn the mind to muscle link when hand pushing but it is well worth the effort and quite theraputic. Sam did a great video a little while ago on hand pushing. Have a search for it in the tip section. I will give you probably the most important tip too when hand pushing. Keep the thumb of your graver hand secure against the fingers or thumb of your opposite hand that is turning the work. When you slip.... and you will, you will not do yourself any serious damage as your cutting tool will be limited in the distance it will travel into your other hand. Heeheee. Good luck.

EDIT. Just noticed that Sam has already linked the video for you. Enjoy.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Excellent advice from phil I must say. I started on copper and brass, and found out exactly the same as him about cutting in brass.
Unfortunately I never got the same advice as you about security by using fingers on your opposite hand. I got a really big slip and the graver almoust went through my left hand. It took weeks before I could try engraving again.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
... many different alloys of brass and found them all extremely difficult to engrave without losing control of the tool. Alot of engravers on here said that they had no problems with brass and it was beautiful to cut.

there is a huge degree of variation in the 'engrave-ability' of brass. none of it would be my favorite, but it can range from not-too-bad to HOLY%$#&%$!!!!-this-cuts-like-&%$&#!!! as a recent bizarre example, i was making a line spacing gauge (to consistently set my dividers) out of a cheap scrap of brass- literally an old nameplate off a trophy or award or something, for a job that would require some repetitive lettering. some of this lettering needs to be evenly spaced above & below a cut line so i engraved a straight line, maybe 5/16" long- with a parallel heeled 120 graver. a couple days later, i tried to use that graver to bright-cut silver and it was immediately obvious it was no longer polished. under high magnification it could be seen that some brass had galled onto the graver point. ok, no problem, a quick pass on the diamond paste strop will wipe it right off. now i had shiny brass gunk stuck to the heel facets. i tried scraping/shaving it off with another graver then stropping. nope. after battling with it for maybe 15 minutes i finally gave up and completely resharpened & polished it (cussing the whole time!). that brass could not have been fused to the graver any better if it had been brazed. and like i said, resulted from cutting one line less than the length of your pinky nail...
:mad:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Over the years, I have stuck a graver completely through the web of my left hand - between the thumb and forefinger. That one occured while hand push engraving on a silver vase.

I also managed to slide one underneath the forefinger tendon on the back of my left hand. That one happened while bright cutting the beads on a western buckle.

There were also numerous other punctures, mostly under a half inch deep that ocurred during those years... before the advent and acceptance of power assisted tools.

I got my first tattoo when I embedded a silver chip that musta been on the point of the graver when it went under the skin. (they turn black over the years)

These are lessons that you think you'll never forget, and yet, you'll get too comfortable/complacent and it'll happen again.

Brian

Leonard prefers to slip them under his fingernails...

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that resembles a croissant from burger king. looks to be a bit stale. but hey, if it saves you from injury, just go for it.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
After seeing a picture of Lynton McKenzie in Meek's book engraving using a push graver and a leather sand bag I thought I give it a try and that's the only time I ever stab myself in my left hand,ouch.:eek: J.J.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
I have stabbed myself several times while setting. Both with onglette and flat gravers as well as beading tools. Beading tools seem to be the worst as it takes very little force to puncture a hole right up to the bone of a finger or hand. I learned to use the bench peg as a shield to stop my hand when I slip. Still painful hitting your hand against solid wood, just without the hole in your other hand.

dallastornaod

Thanks for all the info everone. Sam it was your videos that got my interest up. I was planning on starting with brass or copper.