How do you start to cut and what do you to cut in very small area ?

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello,

I have problem with cutting scroll,

which way is the best to cut a scroll ?

Start from outside to inside or in side to outside ?

Is there a rule to cut a perfect scroll or is it just about experience ?

Also, I see some very small scroll, how do you cut them, for example I saw scroll on the side of Rolex watch, it is less than 5 mm but it was cut very nice and smoth ?

How do you do that ?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
counter_clockwise_scrolls.jpg

SCROLL BACKBONE - I was taught to cut them counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise) and I always cut them that way. I think it helps with consistency of cut by doing this. This means some scrolls will cut from the inside out and some from the outside in. I'm not saying everyone else should do this, but for me it's an advantage and I teach my students to cut them this way.

direction_of_cuts.jpg

DIRECTION OF CUT on other cuts: I follow a thin-to-thick rule and the attached photo is an illustration from my video ENGRAVING SCROLLWORK which shows the direction of the various cuts. Knowing I adhere to this rule (and the scroll backbone rule above), you should be able to look at any engraving I've done and easily determine which direction I made various cuts.

As for smaller scrolls, the same applies. Nothing special is done to cut scrolls that are 5mm.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Being right handed I find cutting counter-clockwise to feel more natural but also cut in the opposite direction when I think it best. You should practice both because, as seen in the attached photo, there are times when protrusions will get in the way of your tool and frequent change of direction is a must. The smaller the scroll I think you will find the lighter or shallower the cuts.

Attachments

• special tools.jpg
    special tools.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 290

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On guns with obstructions we have to cut in both directions. Many times changing directions several times on the same scroll. This requires you to not only match the curve but also the bevel. It takes some practice...

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I always try to position the work piece so I am cutting from right to left or counterclockwise being right handed. However, I find if I am cutting from the outside in I have a tendency to go wide. I guess it is like a revolving object. The closer to the center you get the faster it will go. Therefore I am very slow and careful at cutting a scroll , or I start from inside and go out. That is what seems to work best for me but I am not as experienced as the other who have responded.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
When I told other engravers I cut the clockwise scrolls from the inside out they said your kidding my problem was breaking the tips on my chisels at that time I was using hammer & chisel for cutting the backbones of the scrolls,the first time I went up to meet gun engraver Roy Vail and told him he ask to show him and said like others I never heard of that technique before.For me it worked and I still cut the backbone same way today but with power. J.J.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I cut with Hammer and Chisel and always start at the beginning of the scroll and work to the inside or small part. I was told that when cutting scroll remember and think about rate of turn. Meaning as I work to the center the rate I turn the chisel following my line to the center increases. If that makes any sense, But worked for me.

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
I am right-handed but it feels more natural to me to cut clock-wise using air-assist, but h&c is better going counter-clock-wise. I think it may be because my left eye is dominant. I think it's important to do what feels more natural, even though it may go against conventional wisdom. Comfort and ease with the tools is no small thing.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
View attachment 31704 SCROLL BACKBONE - I was taught to cut them counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise) and I always cut them that way. I think it helps with consistency of cut by doing this. This means some scrolls will cut from the inside out and some from the outside in.

i'll be darned. never knew you did 'em that way. i've always cut outside to center, regardless of direction...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
i'll be darned. never knew you did 'em that way. i've always cut outside to center, regardless of direction...

Of course it's the end result that matters. Cutting CCW just feels natural and right for me (because I'm right handed for one thing and because I was taught that way), but obviously there are times when it's not possible as others have said. If I HAD to cut all scrolls CW I doubt anyone could see a difference in the finished work, but I feel like I'm more in the groove (no pun intended) and my results are predictable and consistent cutting CCW.

I think it also comes from hand-push where CCW cutting is used 99% of the time.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use 99% CCW cutting also, because cutting CCW just feels natural for me.

Latest posts

Sponsors