Transfer Problems

JTC

I have been using a Brother MFC 7340 printer for 4 years with excellent results printing on parchment paper for transfers.
Unfortunately the drum life cycle expired so I had to purchase a new printer.
I went with a new Brother HL 2280DW and I am not getting any toner to stick to the parchment paper.
Tried cleaning the parchment paper with alcohol and the toner sticks perfectly. I started to get excited thinking this would work. But the image will not release from the paper to the Transfer Magic.
Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've never owned one, but Brother printers are the only brand I know of that have been reported to be problematic by my students. I don't know about parchment, but Arnaud recently found that lacquer thinner worked with his Brother printer for doing transfer with regular paper. You might try that if you can't get your parchment transfers to work.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes like Sam says, I made transfers using a Brother HL2030 and Brother HL2130 printing on bakery parchment for years and recently gave it a try to make a transfer using regular printing paper and lacquer thinner.
This works really great. One advantage is that the transfer won't rub of the metal so no need to use hair spray or whatever to protect the transfer.
I tried that using acetone but that didn't work.

JTC

Thanks Arnaud,
I had tried regular paper but get poor transfers. I also can not see through the paper like I could with the parchment paper so correct placement of the design was a problem.
I tried Transfer Magic and also tried Dammar Varnish (Windsor & Newton), neither worked well.

The new Brother toner formula has changed and I can not even get the toner to stick to the parchment paper (three different brands).

I think I'm going shopping for a HP printer. No one around here has printers set up so I can not try before I buy.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think I'm going shopping for a HP printer. No one around here has printers set up so I can not try before I buy.

Not even places like OfficeMax & Staples? When I was last printer shopping I took a small squeeze bottle of acetone, a clean practice plate, and a couple paper towels with me. Then I just used any test / demo print from the printers I was interested in for testing.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
It would be best if you could actually try before you buy, because there can be so many unforseen issues with a printer.

As an example, my old HP 4050 series works fine with parchment taped onto typing paper with masking tape, but my wife's newer model HP jams up and smears the image every time. Luckily I have a second 4050 in case the old one dies. I may have to stock up on toner cartridges before they become obsolete.

The problem I encounter with inkjet printers is that I use them so seldom that the ink cartridge is usually ossified when I need it most.

Last edited:

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
I have a cheap HP LaserJet Pro P1102w and it works with parchment paper for transfers. I use the same type of Dammar Varnish as you J.T.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
make sure in settings you set to BEST AND DARK give this ago.
I use a samsung ML1660 and get very good results
Ray

JTC

Transfer problem follow-up.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. Brother has indeed changed their formula for laser printer toner. It will not work with parchment paper or transparencies.
After a week of trying to make it work (HL 2280 printer), using all your suggestions, I went on-line and found a new drum for my old printer and a new toner cartridge. I paid more for the new drum than I did for the new printer that does not work for transfers.

Sponsors