It's my fault!!!

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
So we are in the chaos season at the store an I have my head down hard at it and one of our sales ladies comes to me an says there is a watch that a customer is asking if we can un engrave an re engrave some text on it. So still head down hard at it I asked is it gold she says yea looks like some cheap gold watch. I said yea no prob we do it about once a month. Well couple hours later this Pattek Philleppe is on my desk an I'm scratching my head on what's going on. Flip it over an realize it's the "cheap o" watch :(
With further instructions as to do the new engraving the same as the old. It's roman caps but here is the part I wasn't planning on or ever seen.. After the engraver cut it he re cut it with a custom sized line graver. Only four lines across an extremely close together.
I rolled out some gold an scribed five oval borders in it the same size as the case back for some practice runs... Any tips or suggestions ?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris DeCamillis has a tutorial on making your own liners. I'm having trouble finding it, but it's pretty much just taking a blank, cutting a set of lines the size and spacing you want, and then tempering the blank.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
interesting. I have a small liner with what I think is the correct patter but its a little to wide so I was going to narrow it down on the power hone.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
It is (was?) common to use liners in block lettering, but not quite the way this particular job was done.

You have the two options above. The 3rd would be to get or borrow either a 6/4 or an 8/4 bent liner.

I'd bet on the 6/4?

I have 'em both, but they are from the days before I was crippled - so they are hand push gravers.

I'd rather not grind 'em up to fit a pneumatic handpiece, even though I will never be able to use them again.

They are one of the easiest gravers to hand push. Especially in those short lettering cuts.

Hopefully, this is NOT an XMas job? Or is it?

B.

Last edited:

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Well i think it's ex wife's old watch he is giving to new wife an doesn't want X's initials in it any more I have a old muller 10-6 that came over on the mayflower but I would have to butcher it to fit my needs

I'm just glad I rolled out some gold to practice on ! First attempt was terrible. I ground down a burr to .5mm flat an went after it but I think that is still to wide

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If that watch is a Patek Phillipe, then this becomes a high liability job. Proceed with caution.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I made a student a 2-line liner by using a C-Max carbide 105 to cut a V on the bottom of a narrow flat graver.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have enough gold to get 4-5 more practise runs in. The one I did last night was horrible. But I learned ALOT! The engraver that did this work was no amateur

Latest posts

Sponsors