1st Power Assist On Display NRA

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This afternoon I went to the NRA to photgraph the display of the 1st power assist tool designed by John Murphy, an engraver who crafted it in the 1950's. The gun on display with the machine is one that Mr. Murphy engraved. The machine was donated to the NRA recently. Anyone who wishes to view the display will find it in the section with engraved firearms. Hope you enjoy seeing the pictures.

Attachments

• 1st.power.assist.nra.jpg
    1st.power.assist.nra.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 1st.power.assist.nra2.jpg
    1st.power.assist.nra2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

Les,Go to page eight and look for Power for Engravers and you'll see more pictures of the engraving machine at different angles . This tool runs on electricity not air,I believe it was built some time in the 1950's,I try to get more information. J.J.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Seems as if this tool has two speeds, and is NOT air assist. Looks like a mechanical motion is imparted through the tube and thusly to the graver. Can't tell if stroke is adjustable for length, but seems as if it could be, although there's a point where the stroke would be too long. My guess is that stroke length is fixed. Looks as if it's capable of some 1st class work, though, Without being risque', they say it's a poor workman who blames his tools! No further comments.

JJ Roberts

Doc,We did discuss the machine before but now it with a gun that John Murphy engraved in a class case with other engraved guns. J.J.

JJ Roberts

Dave I don't think Mr. Murphy ever applyed for a patent,I was on the phone today with the gentleman who donated the machine to the NRA and he's going to send me more information on Mr. Murphy and the machine. J.J.

monk

Staff member
everybody else said "cool". i say it's cool to the max, jj. tyvm for the share. even a cursory look will tell this must have taken him a long time to perfect the device. i think it's in a good resting place.

Last edited: