Help, please: Hand made ornaments-engraving plates?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The kind of die you are gonna need for that kind of work is one that will cut multiple pieces at one stroke.

Set up in way that you can feed in 6", 12" or wider(?) material from rolls of metal.

Dies that cut one at a time are not gonna do you much good for large runs...

And the little pancake dies dies that hobbyists use are not durable enough for a long/large run.

Brian

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you will have a real marketing challenge to make such a venture pay off. the cost of such dies are likely higher than you expect. there's ways to do this, but no relief involved. such can be done economically on lasers or pantographs. the tips section shows a few of the hundreds of template or master plates that i made.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Having worked at Wendell August, I can tell you tin is not something they do. It is not thick enough for the hammered process. Sounds like you want cut outs? Strip feed in a press will produce at a rapid rate. Strip feed is also used for struck pieces. You may be able to farm out some if this work with a little research.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry, I did not explain strip feed. The metal is roll fed to a press where both the design dies and the trim tool operate. The splash die with the design accepts the fed material where it is struck, then slides to the trim tool. Each strike of the press equals one strike and one trim. Production is about one piece per second. I agree that the cost is in the dies and the trim tool too.

Sponsors