Question: removing mfg brand marks on a slide.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
As I have no expertise in this matter, I am willing to admit I am puzzled. I wonder if this may be true only for firearms manufactured in 1968 or later, as the Gun Control Act of 1968 is the first incidence that I have seen of the requirement that the name of the manufacturer be on the firearm.

The earlier requirement contained in the INTERNAL REVENUE CODE OF 1954, PART II, CH. 53, Subchapter B, SEC. 5843. IDENTIFICATION OF FIREARMS required only that each manufacturer and importer of a firearm shall identify the firearm by a number or an identification mark approved by the Secretary of the Treasury or his delegate.

Have I missed something that occurred between 1954 and 1968, or have I missed the point altogether?

Last edited:
As I have no expertise in this matter, I am willing to admit I am puzzled. I wonder if this may be true only for firearms manufactured in 1968 or later, as the Gun Control Act of 1968 is the first incidence that I have seen of the requirement that the name of the manufacturer be on the firearm.

The earlier requirement contained in the INTERNAL REVENUE CODE OF 1954, PART II, CH. 53, Subchapter B, SEC. 5843. IDENTIFICATION OF FIREARMS required only that each manufacturer and importer of a firearm shall identify the firearm by a number or an identification mark approved by the Secretary of the Treasury or his delegate.

Have I missed something that occurred between 1954 and 1968, or have I missed the point altogether?

The firearm in the case of a pistol, is the frame. The frame of the handgun must contain the Manufacturer name, City/State of manufacturer/importation, and a Serial number (registered with the ATF when the item is manufactured/imported) and caliber. The slide is just considered a "part" and not the actual firearm. Manufacturers seem to look as open space on any firearm as advertising space.

The 68 GCA required that all newly manufactured firearms produced by licensed manufacturers in the United States and imported into the United States bear a serial number. Firearms manufactured prior to the Gun Control Act and firearms manufactured by non-FFLs remain exempt from the serial number requirement. Defacement or removal of the serial number (if present) is a felony offense. If imported or manufactured prior to the 1968 Gun Control act no serial number or other markings are technically required to be on the firearm.

Current info that needs to be marked on the receiver/frame of a newly manufactured or newly imported firearm :

Marks of identification to be placed on the firearms:

Name of manufacturer/ importer (Name listed on Federal firearms license or recognized abbreviation on file with ATF)
Model, if any (if no model is designated, please indicate such in the submission)
Caliber or gauge, if any (if no caliber or gauge is designated, please indicate such in the submission)
City and State (Postal abbreviations may be used for State only)
Serial number

Latest posts

Sponsors