Question: removing mfg brand marks on a slide.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I am wanting to do away with the colt logo etc on my defender. My question is: is it acceptable to sand it out or must it be welded, inlaid etc. I am comfortable welding it but where can I get it information on what alloy it is and heat treat info. Thanks in advance!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's one by Otto Carter to give you some food for thought:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i love that gun!!!! but howd he get colts lettering off of it?

If you compare the photo with this one you can see how it was probably filed, or surface ground off. The lines milled into the rear of the slide look to be somewhat wider and have also been reworked. It looks like a lot of work but can be and has been done. I think it's the only way to remove the lettering without causing finishing problems later on.

One method which requires a LOT of elbow grease is to use valve grinding compound and a sheet of heavy glass. I've done that with motorcycle engine parts and it should work for this also. Or, take it to a machine shop which is probably the best idea. (It's an idea anyway)

Last edited:

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I have good success with quality draw file and don't forget the chalk to aid in the cutting and non clogging of the file. Then I stone and polish and ready for engraving. ZZ

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are going to go with full coverage and relieved backgrounds, you can also beat the lettering into submission with a rounded tip round blank, and then just engrave the slightly concave result. Done well, no one will see how you did it.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
griff,Any True Value hardware will have a good supply of flies that were I get mine right here in town. J.J.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
griff,Any True Value hardware will have a good supply of flies that were I get mine right here in town. J.J.

You can just ask for a single cut flat mill file. I have draw filed quite a few muzzle loader barrels with the 12 inch (or so) Stanley mill files. But, it's pretty easy to get a slant going or some other deformity from not being square with the world. That's why a machinist with a surface grinder might be the cheapest method in the long run. I've used a 4 inch bench top belt sander for such projects but there again... there's a learning curve. You'll have to decide for yourself. :)

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Griff Silver, you can wrap automotive wet/dry paper around an India stone. Start with 80 grit. the grit you'll stop with will depend on the finish your planning for the firearm. Use the 80 grit until the logo is almost barely seen, then start with you're next grit, in another direction. You'll go in a different direction for each grit until the previous sanding marks are removed. This is slower than using files, but safer, as in, you make mistakes slower, than say with a file or buffers. If you polish after each grit, it will show if you missed any sanding marks before you go to the next grit. This really matters if the firearm will be nickeled, but not so much if stopping at 220-320 for case coloring, 400-500 Belgian blue, but 2000+ for nickel matters.(On a blued gun the grit marks all going the same direction will camouflage the previous marks missed) If you don't have access to 555 white on loose muslin wheel, you can polish with 2000 grit paper. Much slower but will help identify those marks before proceeding to the next grit. Metal prep is another skill / art form all to itself. I've put in many hours over the last 5 years learning it along with engraving. A word to the wise. It would be a great idea to spend the time prepping a flat 2x2 practice plate to your desired finish before starting on the Colt slide.(Flats are much harder than round objects to polish) I spent a whole day prepping a plate to a mirror finish before starting on my first firearm / it was time well spent. I hope this info helps you. It has worked for me, as I know the other suggestions have worked for others. If you have any questions, I would be glad to help you, as others have helped me. Good luck!

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have several guns that we have laser welded. We harvest the steel from under the grip. So far they all seem to blue well using original metal.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Unfortunately the slide and the frame may not be the same metal-often isn't. A lot of weapons these days are looking for materials to reduce weight in the frame. Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors