Critique Request Any helpful tips for improvement?

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
that pair .... not so much. this pair has smooth jaws that tend to slip off the wire. ive takes a set of needle nose pliers with fine teeth in the jaws and reshaped the nose a bit to shorten and to reach better where the carbide inserts of the drawplate are recessed.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Are any of these good to draw wire?...oduct/Swanstrom-Chain_dash_Nose-Pliers/111300

Sorry, I should have thought of adding this info to my previous post - You need the narrow tips of the pliers to reach into the cavity of the drawplate. As you get down to the smaller sizes, the tapered wire tip doesn't stick out very much.

I also use these same pliers to "scroll" the wire into a spiral "pancake" for easier inlaying in round cavities. You can see some examples of this on my Instagram.

And here's a link to Thierry Duguet's wire drawing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c42NewpM_gE

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dani, Draw plate tongs are smooth for a reason. If you use pliers with teeth in them you have created a weak point were the wire will break. Tongs are an odd shape which first allows them to tighten evenly on the wire and second the hook allows them to be used in a drawing bench for mechanical advantage to make an even pressure pull. As for thickness they claim that a single ounce of gold could be drawn so fine that it would reach around the earth. Another tip is to anneal often, lubricate, steady pressure on the pull. You can thin the end of the wire down by rolling the first couple of inches between two plates of steel.

Inlays are used when mechanical connection is not possible and you want the precious metal to be proud of the surface. overlays can sometimes be attached by heat such as soldiering or rivets. If you create a cavities and inlay the piece that is going to be proud of the surface it is still inlayed just a raised inlay. Different situations call for different methods.

I would suggest a fairly cheap book called "the complete metal smith", the author has other titles as we;; under "The Complete ..." I have learned lots of little tips from his books Take care of yourself this winter. Fred

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Tell me if these two products don't look eerily similar to you?

Latest posts

Sponsors