.357 Magnum owned by Robert E. Petersen

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From the NRA GO Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NraGeneralOperations/posts/541509049319466

Said to be one of the world’s finest, the personal gun collection of Robert E. Petersen was donated to the Gallery of the NRA National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Va., by his widow following his death. The featured firearm is a Dan Wesson Arms D11 .357 Magnum from the 400-piece collection.

Petersen, an avid hunter and gun collector, was the founder of Motor Trend Magazine, Guns & Ammo and many other well known magazines.

RobertPeterson_Dan_Wesson_Arms_D11_04.jpg RobertPeterson_Dan_Wesson_Arms_D11_02.jpg RobertPeterson_Dan_Wesson_Arms_D11_03.jpg RobertPeterson_Dan_Wesson_Arms_D11_01.jpg

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This scroll definitely has a Germanic influence to it.

Would this be considered German or American?

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well... I've seen worse.

Just Kidding, of course. It is beautiful.

Well, it certainly isn't the best I've seen either. I thought it might be of interest. I'd roll over in my grave if my wife gave all my guns away even if it was to the NRA (And, I'm an Endowment Life Member) :)

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm with you, doc. BTW I'm an Endowment member too! I hear there are not a lot of us. I got a call from the NRA 6 months after I upgraded, asking me to upgrade. When I told the guy that I already had, he said that it was an honor to speak to me, as he had never met or talked to an E ticket holder! I laughed for an hour.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm with you, doc. BTW I'm an Endowment member too! I hear there are not a lot of us. I got a call from the NRA 6 months after I upgraded, asking me to upgrade. When I told the guy that I already had, he said that it was an honor to speak to me, as he had never met or talked to an E ticket holder! I laughed for an hour.

I guess we can always upgrade to Patron and Benefactor too some day. I got an email a few days ago offering me a deal to get to the next level. Ah... I don't know... :)

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Hey, I'm a Big "E" also. Upgraded a few years ago.
By the way, if you ever get the chance visit the NRA museum at NRA headquarters in Fairfax VA> There are so many historic firearms on display it blows your mind.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Likewise, I'm also an Endowment Member. Also, I got a call concerning upgrade, but even with the 'easy payment plan', such couldn't be considered done at the time. Didn't know there were 'not many' Endowment Members. . .learn something every day.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my homble opinion this job falls into the category of do no harm-It lowered the value of the gun. Fred

I couldn't disagree more. The scrollwork on that Dan Wesson is journeyman quality German scroll (Grund Englisch). When I started engraving, that type of work was considered the epitome of engraving. That style was the basis for work done by all the German/Austrian-American engravers and those they taught like Prudhomme and Viramontez.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my homble opinion this job falls into the category of do no harm-It lowered the value of the gun. Fred

I couldn't disagree more. The scrollwork on that Dan Wesson is journeyman quality German scroll (Grund Englisch). When I started engraving, that type of work was considered the epitome of engraving. That style was the basis for work done by all the German/Austrian-American engravers and those they taught like Prudhomme and Viramontez.

Latest posts

Sponsors