Latest scrolls (WIP)

Dirtdigger

Latest scrolls

I´ve been practising my scroll drawing and engraving a lot and today decided to get a go on a blank Sportser ignition cover i had laying around. It is 2mm aluminum plate and about 8cm wide.
It´s a work in progress and i need to think of somekind of scrolls around the one in center.

All comments and advice is very wellcome as allways!

IMG_4404.jpg

Last edited:

Dirtdigger

Thank you Bruce for the suggestion!
Unfortunately i had allready drawn "nice" scroll on top but after engraved it... well, you can see your self. :eek:
I guess it can look better in your head than it will after it´s done, espesially when you dont have experience.

edit:
I was going to make this for my wifes bike, but now i realise that those scrolls are WAY too small for motorcycle so i will finish this as a practice plate.

Is there any reference for usual border styles that would be simple enough for beginner?

IMG_4407.jpg

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Running leaf is a classic, perhaps even the classic border. You can do any number of variations on it and it scales well. I haven't done it as large as you would want on a bike, but I've done it from very small to reasonably large and it always looks great. I believe Sam has a tutorial on it on the main iGraver page. I know he has it on his "Successful Jewelry Engraving" DVD.

Dirtdigger

Thank you Steve for the advice!
I went to look for "running leaf border" without finding one, but found "running wheat border" and it looks simple enough for me to try. Theres a lot of shading lines on this border style too and i need to practice on that alot, so thats good!

Dirtdigger

Made border around it and have tried to improve on the main part. Border made it look a lot better, i think.
I guess one should first make drawing of the whole piece and after that start engraving. Not like i did by drawing and engraving one scroll at a time.

IMG_4408.jpg

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are correct in that you should have the design thought out and know your layout before you start to cut. Your scrolls look pretty good, but are let down by the lack of flow and cohesion in the overall design. Keep going, you'll get there.

Latest posts

Sponsors