Something good, I hope..

I just attended John Schippers class at Conner Prairie. His class is good., it was five days 8:00am to 5:00pm His teaching style is down to earth and was a good match for my learning style.

cutting
These plates were done during class using a hammer and chisel.

I have set up an engraving bench in the attic and expect to spend at least 30 minutes, three days a week in 2015.

Having taken John's class I think I can learn even more from his book. I'll let you decide I plan to submit new plates at least on a quarterly basis.

I bought the book from Steve Lindsay in 2013. My original timeline was to start when I retire, still three years away. I just think I need to start now.

I think I can learn to do this and get good enough to engrave a couple of family heirlooms for my grand children. So as I collect engraving projects and practice what I have learned I hope you all will see progress worthy of cutting gun steel.

JohnC

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am sure your goal is obtainable and more. Bet of luck to you and don't for get to practice your drawing. You can do that anywhere any time and it is a big if not the biggest battle. Best of luck Fred

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
John Shippers is an amazing man. Some one I have much respect for. I have had a chance to talk with him about some of his accomplishments and the type of work he has done. Everyone should read what he has to say on page 442 of his book. And he is a banjo player.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, looks like you paid attention in class. you have surely absorbed the concept of design. surprise you loved ones early on--- make the heirlooms now. they will be appreciated more than you know. thanks for showing your work.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Never put off to retirement what you can fit into today. You miss out on a lot if you put it off until later. Looks like you've gotten a good start. Keep it up.

Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement. These words multiply my resolve to make 2015 a watershed year for a hobby that I have read about and spent too much money for engraving samples to study.

Next time I have my camera out I'll try and photograph the two key chains Ray Phillips did for me when I attended the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania NRA event 1998. They were my 4th study pieces I paid for..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors