Newbie questions - enter at your own amusement.

ndallyn

I lurked the forums here for a few weeks and finally joined up. I'm an engineering design student right now, before that I was in the metal trades for 10 years, made knives for 8 years as a hobby and love guncraft and basically anything mechanical/metalwork related.

I have gotten the urge to try engraving, I lurked around here for a few weeks before joining - read a lot of the beginners info, have been practicing drawing and reading books - but I have a couple questions I haven't found answers too yet.

I live in Canada, Calgary AB specifically. Are there any courses in Canada that are worth taking to learn? I know about the GRS courses and have been looking at that, just wondering if there were any instructors or courses north of the border.

Also, I'm wondering if a gravermeister is a decent setup to learn on. I can buy one locally, but I know it is older technology as far as machines go - I haven't been able to find any reviews or videos of one online yet. Does it make a good beginner machine? Are there any major drawbacks compared with the newer machines? I generally try to buy something decent the first time rather than upgrade later.

Thanks,

Nathan

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i can't address about engravers in canada. i think "neo dutch" is from there. i can address the gravermeister issue. it is a machine built to work for a very long time. i have one thats been in use for over 30 years. it's virtually maintenance-free. all one need do is occasionally add oil to the small glass jar. there's an aluminum canister that must be emptied now & then. if not emptied, it will just blow waste oil out the bottom tube. the newer machines are very good. but you will find that all the hi tech crap is really not needed to produce work of high value. the newer tools have a wider range of adjustment, having said that-- a gravermeister can do most anything you would ask it to do. good luck in your pursuit. with your background, i think you already possess many of the disciplines an engraver must master.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would concur that the newer machines have many bells and whistles that most engravers will never use. There are nobs on my machine that have never been turned, and I've had my Gravermach so long that GRS now calls that model something else.

ndallyn

Thank you both for the replies! It's very much appreciated! Right now I'm just trying to concentrate on getting the drawing forms and scale right but hope to be cutting in the near future.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't wait to long to cut. It's a muscle memory skill set. You need to put in a lot of time to get good.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also used a meister for over 30 years. It is loud but there a few thins you can do to soften that. It will do anything the new machines will do, as the skill is in the hands not the machine. The hands piece is important. I would suggest the 915. more like a hand tool. Practice your drawing skills and try to understand proper scroll construction, balance and flow. When you start cutting work on the basic until you are sick to death of them. Straight lines, even in all respects, arches, circles, .Nest is line and circle variations by rolling the tool.

Sharpening will be another issue equally important. there are power options that don't include the power hone.

Check the bit and spur guild for Canadian engravers. Also there are a bunch of guys on this site from Montana, Idaho, and North Dakota. Lots of luck Fred

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'll take an opposite side here and recommend that you spend that money on a newer system. The Gravermeister is late 60s/70s technology and GRS' newer pneumatic systems are much better, faster, smoother, quieter, and more efficient. If you can get a 'meister for super cheap then maybe get it, but the resale value and demand for them is lower than it's ever been, so keep that in mind when you want to upgrade later. The heat, noise, and oily smell is enough to make up my mind. But yeah, you can engrave with 'em.

ndallyn

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I was looking into the gravermeister largely so I wouldn't have to also get a new compressor (I have one but it is much too big (I use it for my automotive tools - 2 stroke oil lubed). Plus I can get one locally - meaning no cross-border shipping and the duties and taxes that go with that, which definitely makes it more attractive cost-wise. Thank you again to everyone for the advice.

I actually contacted a local goldsmith and engraver here in Calgary, talked for a few minutes, and he said he could give me some instruction on evenings and weekends once the Christmas season is over. So things are looking up!

ndallyn

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone again for the advice! I ended up going a different route - ordered a Lindsay classic setup. I really liked the idea of not having a bench top unit and the ability to run off of CO2 cyliners is awesome as I can work after my three year old is in bed without worrying about a compressor kicking in.

Hopefully I'll be making some amateur attempts at cutting soon!

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ndallyn there are several engravers close to you. Scott Hardy around Longview I think would be your closest. Next would be Richard Brooks at Cayley. Next would be Charlie Barnett at Magrath. My shop is SE of Lethbridge 55 miles. You are welcome to come down in the new year and live it up.

Last edited:

Edward Soye

I believe that galt's in calgary offers engraving classes, no idea on the quality, I have not had any dealings with him.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I 've been engraving for only 5 years and am using a 40 year old gravermeister. It serves me well. If it is cheap go for it as you will need to spend money on other things as you get started, such as a microscope and a good vice, hand piece and gravers. You may need to purchase sharpening aids as well. If you are going to buy new a Graver-mach and a gravermeister are only about $200 difference. So go for the best.

If you can go to GRS their classes are great. I'll be taking my third one this year.

Latest posts

Sponsors