Ken Hunt thread - engraving and artwork

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd really like to see someone like Santos do that last one on Titanium, with all the colors.
I can tell that I'll be studying these for a long time.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i really wouldn't know where to start, i mean my reaction to this work of his. it's sort of a tutorial on where & how to set your sights as an engraver. sam, this is wonderful of you to have shared this-- thanks for doing so.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
871984311406212709_379561324.jpg

Ken's words:

"Two gunengravers now deceased Phillipe Griffnee (left) and Rene Delcour (right) . On a visit to my home . Rene was professor of engraving at Liege school of Engraving , he taught Phil who died 2 years ago. I introduced Phil to Holland & Holland when there wasn't any demand for top engraving in Belgium, he became their named engraver for a few years. Phil was 69 when he died. Rene became my friend since 1962. He would bring me chisels after he showed me how they used them.

My kids liked uncle Rene because when he visited his bag was an endless pit of goodies. I have endless stories of that great character Rene."

871929847932565404_379561324.jpg

"He came to work well dressed undoing his collar stud releasing his collar that was starched, a hang over from the days of Tom Sanders who would come in top hat & tails, He was the Governor! The Boss!"

Sam

Staff member
871878461870093480_379561324.jpg

"Larry Wilson AA White engravers got me to make a sample plate with different styles ,I inlaid my name put gold damascened designs in the corners ,but when he cast this he got Alvin to put cheap designs in the corners . He sold the original to someone who made it into a belt buckle"

871896269341374298_379561324.jpg

"I love Japanese work on swords & Armour the influence inspired me to put these wee animals into my design on this gun."

Sam

Staff member
I have long felt, and said whenever asked, that Ken Hunt is the most important modern engraver.
He has influenced the work of everyone you can think of.
When he started under Kell, engraving was decadent.
By the mid 1960's Ken had raised it, almost single handedly back to the level it had been at in earlier days, and very quickly took it far beyond where it had ever been before.
We all owe Ken Hunt, for pointing the way forward.

Well stated, Barry. Ken is one of the most influential engravers the world's ever known. And I agree we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

Sam

Staff member
photo-3.JPG

"Sam, the shading on the Argali was done with Muller liner tools as was lots of the background, the photo might not show the fineness. This was for the King of Bhutan H&H rifle. The makers always in a hurry so I couldn't do a Fraccasi

This is from a rubbing."

photo-2.JPG

"Another version of me working . That Sistine Chapel ceiling was a doddle."

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
This is a wonderful collection of one man's work.
I've not seen so much of Ken's work in one place before.

Please keep them coming! ;)

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
What an amazing artist. I am grateful just to be allowed to share these. Right Click Save, Right Click Save, ....

Sam

Staff member
This is a wonderful collection of one man's work.
I've not seen so much of Ken's work in one place before.

Please keep them coming! ;)

Yes it's great, Jo! I'm grateful to Ken for his permission to share his fantastic art and engraving history.

Sam

Staff member
Yes that's a good one, Phil! GRS has one hanging in its training center as well. I told Ken that I tell all the students that it's my work. He mumbled something about sticking pins in a voodoo doll!

Sam

Staff member
harry_kell_1910.jpg
An example of Ken's teacher Harry Kell's work from 1910.

"When Harry was told that the gun made by Purdey was for King George the 6th and to make a " good job of it " His reply was " we alway do a good job no matter for who " This has always been my motto "

"Kell always used a hand push, he even used it to cutaway the background for carving, as stated before, we set our gravers differently, I like mine tapering to give a feeling of flexibility. It to me feels as if I can eject the burr away speedily . You may notice all my pushers are different to some for the machine. Please excuse the punctuation in my epistles as I am not a typist of quality, give me a quill and my thoughts come out differently, here I have to correct some idiotic word not intended. When engraving small scroll which we had to do at speed there could be heard a rhythmical clicking. I also stated that toughness of steels later did alter the cutting quality of the scrolls, no high speed steel tools then but some gravers became your favorite; lost without it ! We couldn't always use another craftsmanship tool because of a personal bias."

Sam

Staff member
borders.jpg

"Here are a few borders to help surround your scrolls or just to go around the edges. Only doodles but if you make them regular they can look good."

"When I finished my apprenticeship I could earn a living with what I was taught, but being more artist than artisan, I desired to do work like the Frenchmen working on exquisite Boutet pistols & guns, the embellishers of Armour with etching & gold work, so I experimented determined to master the problems thrown up, putting gun actions into nitric acid, hoping for the best. I didn't always get the results I was aiming for but I progressed. Nil Desperandum,! making up my own acid resist varnish so it wouldn't let it bite in the wrong area."

"Learning is a wonderful journey you don't always need to pay cash for it ,it's all around ,seek and ye will find ."

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Sam, these are going in my Ken Hunt notebook. I also have a Sam Alfano, a Weldon Lister, etc, etc.

Todd

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Ken by way of Sam, I very much thank you for allowing me to view and especially understanding your journey as an engraver. I have copied and printed some of the notes/illustrations as learning aids. However, I am concerned that I not take something that is surely not mine to take without asking but would like to continue making as was stated a "Ken Hunt workbook". If payment for these notes, illustrations is in order please let me know as I am indebted for the opportunity.

Sam

Staff member
873946596030854751_379561324.jpg

"here is a diagram of open work scroll. make it interesting by variations"

Sam

Staff member
Ken by way of Sam, I very much thank you for allowing me to view and especially understanding your journey as an engraver. I have copied and printed some of the notes/illustrations as learning aids. However, I am concerned that I not take something that is surely not mine to take without asking but would like to continue making as was stated a "Ken Hunt workbook". If payment for these notes, illustrations is in order please let me know as I am indebted for the opportunity.

Roger: Ken has been very gracious and has given me permission to share his drawings with Cafe members. I can't imagine there would be a problem with keeping a workbook.

I would also encourage everyone to keep an eye on this tread as new material will be added as I get it.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken is one of my favorites. The week I spent with him and Marcus at Grand Masters is a treasured memory. Great people, great talents, and thank goodness a rebel, ever expanding the borders of what is possible.

Latest posts

Sponsors