My first self made knife

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
[/URL][/IMG]
This is the first knife I made on myself. I displayed the knife at the Baobab knife show in Pretoria, South Africa where it won first place in the novice category for best fixed blade art knife. The blade is mirror polished 12C27 stainless steel, bolsters 416 stainless steel and handle material is African blackwood. I will be making a lot more knives in the coming year. Already have two shows booked for 2015!

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
That is a beautiful piece, worthy of the recognition it received at the knife show. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
in the future, Thanks for posting.
Cheers
Don

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful knife, Jan. I like the flow and can almost feel how it would feel in the hand. Is blackwood as hard, close-grained and dense as it looks?

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful knife, Jan. I like the flow and can almost feel how it would feel in the hand. Is blackwood as hard, close-grained and dense as it looks?

Fred, the blackwood is very hard and dense. It is mostly used on top range musical instruments as inlay, knobs, flutes etc. It is also one of the most expensive woods you can buy!

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Well done and congrats on the award. You obviously put a lot of work into that knife.

Thank you Ed! I re-sanded and polished the blade 5 times because I was not happy with the mirror polish on it. And I still wanted a better finish, but I was on the verge of giving up at that point, so polished the blade as best I could.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Polishing is quite an art. It takes more effort for me than the engraving, by far. It always seems like I get 98% of the metal perfect, and there is one tiny spot that just won't buff out!!! That last 2% is the killer.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i can only say, if there's such a thing as a "classic knife", this would surely be in such category !

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Polishing is quite an art. It takes more effort for me than the engraving, by far. It always seems like I get 98% of the metal perfect, and there is one tiny spot that just won't buff out!!! That last 2% is the killer.
You can say that again! Going back to 400, 800, 1000, 1200 and 1500 sanding paper 5 times because of tiny marks/lines on the surface really gets to you!
i can only say, if there's such a thing as a "classic knife", this would surely be in such category !
Thank you very much!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work on that knife.
About polishing any metal or other material, this is best done by hand, not the buffer.
Use a leather lap that is glued on wood, and fill that with one carat of the finest diamond powder.
This way you can polish almost everything high-end.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work on that knife.
About polishing any metal or other material, this is best done by hand, not the buffer.
Use a leather lap that is glued on wood, and fill that with one carat of the finest diamond powder.
This way you can polish almost everything high-end.
Thank you for the tip Arnaud. I will give it a try sometime.

Latest posts

Sponsors