Diamond Monogram

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
This has been dragging out for about two weeks. Still work in progress

Cut out from a sheet of 14k X1 with a 14k yellow border around it once all the diamonds get set.
she should like the finished product

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that's just a beautiful job. guaranteed to please the recipient !

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When you finish, will be a beautiful piece of art. Thanks

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, I know azure is blue-in the first pictures I see red stones but what is "azure work"? All I could find on Azure on the net is it is some new Microsoft crape and it is a shade of blue.-than in advance, Fred

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Fred,

Azuring in stone setting consists of the cutting (beveling) of the opening in the back to allow the stone to take in more light - as well as giving a much nicer appearance than that left by simply chamfering the round drill hole.

Done by graver, saw or a combination of both.

In the shape of triangles, squares, rectangles, pentangles and hexes - depending on the layout and skills/imagination of the setter.

My personal favorite is to saw first, then kinda "scrape" with a high polished graver.

Becoming a rare sight because it takes a higher degree of skill - and of course, more time.

I don't recall ever seeing it posted before on this forum?

Which is surprising, given the number of stonesetter members...

Brian

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, Thanks for the explanation. It is much appreciated. I knew the reason the hole was drilled clear through was to let light pass through the stone so it would improve light refraction off the facets but did not know that the shape of the hole was improved other than making the round whole bigger. Never thought anything about the holes special treatment other than making it bigger for more light. I now understand that bright cutting and shaping could improve the refraction. I also notice that on this piece there is no millgrain used. I thought that was pretty standard. I will pay more attention in the future and see what else I can pick up. Fred

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Which is surprising, given the number of stonesetter members...
Brian

Well Brian, it`s not considered to be a stone setters job to do fancy azures, besides they would never get paid for it.

Least, countersinking holes neatly should be done by a setter if drilling through.

It was a mark of high quality work to have the back looking as neat as the front.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work! I really see no point in the azure work other than making the back look neat and finished and making the cleaning of the diamonds easier. The piece will lie on top of clothing or skin which will cast a shadow at the back of the piece. This will prevent light from entering the back anyway. The same applies to rings. Once on the finger no light can enter from the back as none of us have see through fingers. Lol! It is definitely a sign of quality work and is rarely seen nowadays.

Latest posts

Sponsors