which vice ?

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
self centering ? simple rotating ? or non rotating ? or tilting ? or just heavy?

jaw opening width ? 4" a good start ?

I have seen some bits here and there that show engravers finding what apears to be the centre of the rotating device which there vice sits on i.. im guessing that this is so that you turn the vice to aid your cut and it follow in a circular motion rather than an oval ( if the vice was offset from centre ) i am guessing at all this but basically .. if this is needed or a self centreing vice is a big life safer then this would be great to know . I would rather buy ONE CORRECT vice than waste money . thanks

Andrew Biggs

The most important question is what are you intending to engrave either now or in the future? How do you engrave? Hammer/chisel? Handpush? Air assist?

The centre of rotation is only critical with a microscope and turntable.

A standard or low profile vise is good most general work for smaller to medium size items because it has both weight and is easily manoeuvred around. A Magnablock is great for big gun parts and actions because of its size and weight. The adjustable vise is great but also a beast to push around with smaller items.

With a good quality vise look for easy rotation, weight and mass so it can be manoeuvred around, hold the work steady and not vibrate. You also want the jaws to close squarely ..........there are some crap vises on the market that aren't that good.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
as andrew mentioned, a centering vise is primarily needed for scope use. that is not to say it has no other use. whatever the choice made, it must be massive enough to absorb vibration. if it doesn't do that, your graver will do stupid things. the centering vise with the scope is valuable, as the field of view is rather limited when looking thru the scope. it narrows significantly as you go towards higher power. early on, i made the mistake of using too much power. really not normally needed.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are other centering fixtures that give more range. Your ability to push the vise will improve over time on the turn table if your using scope. no scope you just center the vise and go to work. Lots of ways to skin the cat. Fred

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The centering is not really done to prevent ovals. It's done to keep the piece under the microscope. If you are not using a scope, centering is less important.

Latest posts

Sponsors