Question: Gun engraving??

rossm10

I have signed up for the Single action pistol engraving class taught by Rex Pederson at the GRS school next year. I have a couple of old pistols I thought I might try engraving on in the meantime,.....is there some special "prep" work that must be done to the pistol?? And are there special gravers used??
thanks,
Ross

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would advise working on your pistol after the class. You will know so much more than before, and will be able to do better work, etc. In the meantime, I would suggest cutting on small diameter (.5-.75 inch) bar stock and trying to engrave up to the ledge on the inside of 90 degree angle iron. Both will give you some idea of cutting on gun parts.

rossm10

Thanks!! Do I need a certain type/style graver?? I Bright cut engrave now and also do a little single point....

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
gravers, apron and other goodies will be provided for you, you should contact grs with type of firearm they recommend for the class, it's taken apart there, everything is done there

Saludos,
Carlos

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Ross,Even after you take a class you should till practice before trying to engrave guns,your not going to be able engrave guns after one class. Practice,practice,practice. J.J.

rossm10

Does anyone know if the gravers one uses for gun engraving are the same gravers you buy from GRS or if there is a special high carbon or tool steel special graver for guns???That I should practice with on bar stock????

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Everyone seems to have a favorite but I advise the 105 CMax for this class for the major cuts.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. since your class is in the future, most of your questions have already been answered right here in the forum. check the tips section, take notes, and read, read, read. when you're done doing that, draw till you'r sick of it. then draw some more. you will find that drawing skills will be the foundation of all that you want to learn to do. yes, most of us do use computer aided drawing and pattern transfer techniques such is a time saver, not a skill saver.. but, there's times when direct drawing is the only way to do a job. after the class, you may well go into sticker shock on the price for a well appointed engraving shop. remember, if you read thru the tips, you'll find much of the equipment you need can be made of ordinary items found lying about in most any workshop. good luck

rossm10

Thank You!!! That is the question I had!! That's what I currently use!! I just wasn't sure that would be hard enough to engrave gun steel... :)

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Here's a secret. fegarex is Rex Peterson the SAA engraving class instructor.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sure Sandy.. That is like taking off Batman's mask!! :)
By the way Ross, good to hear you took my class. It will be a great week!
Rex

rossm10

Thanks Fegarex!!! Between now and then I'd like to practice on some 1/2" and 3/4" round bar stock so I can make the most of your class!! And Marian at GRS mentioned that a Sandy person was also going to help instruct....I wonder....hmmmmm?? Thanks for the advice people!!

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I guess you would call that Sandy guy my "Robin"....
:)
Honestly he is my able bodied assistant/whipping post. He is a great asset to the class!
Rex

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Life is good to a poor fat guy. :shock: Some days. Rex is the keeper of the keys.:beatup:

At some point superman had an apprentice, Superboy who wouldnt dare tug on his cape.:confused: :eek:

Last edited:

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
I like the idea of Sandy being Superman's (AKA Rex's) side kick is better than Batman's. A Robin costume on you is not something I'd like to see anytime soon.

Dan

Sponsors