Question: Gun engraving??

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So the question is what gravers are used in gun engraving. I use a lot of 105 and 120 parallel heel gravers. The type ranges from CMax and glensteel to some cheap carbides I've found. A lot depends on the steel. Is it hard or soft? Is it gummy or not? I even change the face depending on hardness if metal... So you have to learn as you go. BTW if you are planning on bright cutting on hard guns be ready to spend a lot if time at the power hone.

I'd wait for the class. I've taken two of Rex's start to finish classes. You will learn a lot.

If you can't wait go for it, but be ready to throw away the guns when done so nobody sees them. They are going to be expensive practice plates.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Bruce, not hijacked just expanded.:rolleyes:
Dan, my days of any tight fitting anything are long past. :eek: comfort is the key thing for me now. ;)

I now have 100 hours of class room instruction under my belt. practice plates are looking like something I can be proud of. I still haven't cut any gun steel. My first gun job is expected to be an Iver Johnson .410 as a gift to my granddaughter. Even now I bought an old Iver Johnson receiver to to practice on and get the layout just right. I'd hold off on cutting gun steel for a while. I think you will know what I mean after you have taken your class.

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, do like I did....when the tights get too tight, go to the red suit with white trim......pictures later!

Bill

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Watch out on the Iver Johnsons for your first project. They vary over the years of production in what the steel shapes up like. Some are hard as rocks, some are soft.

I personally watch the on-line gun / auction sights for cast off, non-NFA, gun parts (slides, cylinders, barrels, etc). You can often get them at/below cost of practice parts from places like GRS. You also get the experience of metal prep which is a significant factor in a good product. You quickly learn what the more experienced guys refer to with soft/hard steels, voids, etc. You also get experience in shaping designs to the various guns. Zero risk also.

(...they make great weights for duck decoys when you really mess up)

I feel comfortable letting my secret out as I've got piles of them now. Let the prices go up!!! ;-)

I'm saving my money up to get a Bat jet. Sandy, do you get air sick?

Dan

Sponsors