Help, please: gold tip

gogogeo

Why is the capital letter L engraved different before the word Palmer and in the word Louis? george rothwell

Attachments

• swagger 7.jpg
    swagger 7.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 326

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, the engraver was not up to speed as some would say. look at the lack of consistency in the cutting. the j crashes into the p in palmer. bad layout, bad cutting. is this a walking stick cap ? good, or bad, i always like seeing engraving done the old way-- that is without power toys, computers, and such.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the differences may be intentional as the engraver may have been copying facsimiles of people's actual handwriting.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Where did you get that cane? Wow! What a treasure! Dr. B.J. Palmer from Davenport, Iowa was known as the "Developer of Chiropractic" and ran the Palmer School of Chiropractic (now known as Palmer College of Chiropractic). His father, Dr. D.D. Palmer, was the "Discoverer of Chiropractic". I'm a graduate of that college.

BJ_Palmer_Dev-developer-of-chiropractics.jpeg

gogogeo

Gold tipped Swagger Stick

Here is my story and may or may not be correct:

I believe it is a swagger stick once owned by General Joseph Wheeler. The tip is gold and the engraved area about 1/2 in. It would prove my case if it read. "Stolen by Br g Palmer St. Louis Mo from G Wheeler Sept 1 65

1. The side of the tip is engraved with the symbol for Kansas which is wind and sunflowers. Wheeler was stationed in the Kansas area in 1855 where he bravely saved a stage coach carrying a pregnant woman and her businessman father from an Indian raid.

2. Wheeler was captured by Palmer at the end of the Civil War and Palmer stated "I stripped him of his horse and weaponry and sent him off to prison."

3. Palmer was working in St. Louis for the Kansas/Pacific Railroad in Sept 1 of 65. Strangely on that day Wheeler was beaten with a cane by two Union soldiers in Nashville after testifying for a bushwacker named Champion Ferguson. One of the soldiers was the fellow who brought Ferguson into prison.

4. On the St. Louis Consensus two men turned up named Palmer. One was William Jackson Palmer and the other an retired older Palmer.

5. Palmer was raised Quaker and the word Stolen may be correct in this context. Captured in military terms would mean that the item must be returned to the Federal government. Horses and firearms would be captured. This was a personal item and perhaps stolen was correct.

6. Around 200 of Palmer's 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry showed up to Colorado Spring for a reunion in 1907. Palmer was very wealthy and paid for transportation, lodging, food etc. He was paralyzed from a horse accident and was giving away presents and large sums of money to various organizations. He would pass 2 years later.

7. A George Dallas Boutcher, who served with Palmer was at this week long reunion.

8. Boutcher resided at the Yountville Civil War Veterans Home in California the place I purchased the stick from. Less that 400 service men resided at the home during this period.

Circumstantial evidence without any solid facts. How would it play out in a court trial?????

Last month I was on a TV show called Pawn Stars. A museum curator gave his take on the stick. The episode was called McQueen Dream on the History Channel. I have it on my facebook page

George Rothwell/ Napa California

Attachments

• swagger 3.jpg
    swagger 3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 203
  • Attachment-1.jpeg
    Attachment-1.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 205

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Why is the capital letter L engraved different before the word Palmer and in the word Louis? george rothwell

The "L" before Palmer is an initial and has an additional loop on its lower right. This is normal.
The "L" in Louis is connected to the lowercase "o" so the loop is omitted. This is also normal.

It sounds to me like Dakota DocMartin is onto something, but what is the L.A. before the name Palmer?

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
General William Jackson Palmer
Was the founder of the city of Colorado Springs, along with owning a railroad.interesting stick.thanks

Last edited:

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
What history? Sam stated the initials were "A.L." Palmer not the General's initials.It was confirmed by the "expert" on Pawn Stars that the engraving did not point to the General.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
LA_Palmer_cane.jpg

I would love for it to say Br. G. Palmer but here's what I'm seeing. The hairline (the left vertical cut) in the A is about worn off which is common when something is as old and worn as this. To me it clearly read "LA" and I don't see anything to indicate Br. G.

The "stolen" thing could be a little humor.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

gogogeo

I hate to admit it but L A is the most clear definition of the engraving.

thanks Sam.

George Rothwell

Lane

The middle two lines seem older and more worn. All other letters seem newer. Or at least done by a different engraver at a different time... and the F doesn't look right to me... but I am no expert.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it's a history book in and of itself. any hint who may have done the engraving ? it doesn't appear to have been a professional who did this work. is there a mark anywhere on it to indicate who may have done the work ?

Latest posts

Sponsors