First ring, comments welcome

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
This is the first ring I have ever tried. It was quit interesting with all those curves. Turned out ok, but I think I still need to practice a lot more.
Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 316

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think you did well for your first ring. I would definitely fill the empty spaces around the scrolls though. :thumbsup:

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I think you did well for your first ring. I would definitely fill the empty spaces around the scrolls though. :thumbsup:

Thanks Sam, I thought of that but just have not came up with an idea for that. Do you have a suggestion you can show me. It would help a lot. Thanks Mike

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
The quickest way to fill the spaces would be "punch dot" where you use a little beading tool to give the background areas a stingray-type of texture.
You may need 2-3 sizes to get into the tight corners.

Danomite

Nice work! Did you do this air assist or hand powered? Also, how did you set up the ring to hold it while you engraved it?

Eric Olson: Do you mean something like a stippling tool?

Thanks,
Dan

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work! Did you do this air assist or hand powered? Also, how did you set up the ring to hold it while you engraved it?

Dan, I used air assist, GRS Gravermax, 901 hand piece. Had to keep power as low as I could. Also used the GRS ID ring holder to hold it. If I got into this more, I will upgrade the holder.
Mike

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd also note that your scroll heads might be a touch large, at least in comparison to the rest of the scroll elements. Kind of depends if you were doing English Fine Scroll style or not. In EFS the scroll heads are proportional but in American scroll they often aren't (or at least not as much).

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Steve. I noticed that as well on some of the pieces. I will work on getting it more proportional. I appreciate everyone's reply, it helps a lot.

Mike

Latest posts

Sponsors