New beginner saying hi!

Dirtdigger

Hi there!
I´m a newbie from Finland. I created my profile here few months back and been reading little about engraving and practising my hammer and chisel handling. Now i finally got enough courage to make my first post here.

I´m trying to learn engraving on aluminum with hammer and chisel. I would love to work with airgraver but my limited funds dont make it possible at the moment.

Today i finished my first whole practice piece, thats not only lines and curves. First i wasnt going to post the picture, since it´s really a newbie junk, but thought "what the hell, at least later on i can say that i´ve done worse in past!" :cool:

This is done on 10mm aluminum blank and is about 8cm wide.
All advice and pointers how to improve my design and engraving will be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4353.jpg

FerrousOxide

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on getting the nerve to post. :) I'm fairly new too, so I'll let the experts give advice... looks like you're off to a good start! Cheers.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome. One thing I'd suggest is try working on some mild steel, copper or brass. Aluminum has a "gummy" texture and can be challenging to deal with a new engraver.

Work on learning to draw and design a good basic scroll. Learn that scroll so it becomes like second nature to lay it down quickly and easily.

One of the biggest challenges I faced starting was being distracted by so many different styles. Learn a couple of border designs and one style of scroll. Focus on cutting these basics cleanly and develop techno/artistic flare in the cuts. proper shading technique is key as well.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome and read through tip and archive sections as well as tutorials. Drawing skills believe it or not are the most important thing. Draw every chance you get. Scraps of paper-whatever. Aluminum is one of the tougher metals to learn on. Copper or soft steel will give you better control. The piece you have done is not bad date it and put it in a box for future reference. I'm running a bit late so can't say more right now. Again welcome glad you have joined us. Fred

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like your design and you exhibit a lot of tool control for a beginner. Keep on cutting and keep up the good work! Your well on your way.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome Digger,
As Fred suggested you should date the back but I would nail it to the wall above your work bench. I also like that you came up with an original design :)
Great start.

Bob Ryder

Welcome, I am a newb as well, I have not yet bought any materials. waiting till after the holidays. Im liking all the information in regards to starting out. im exciting about getting started. It looks like you have a great start here. keep posting I say.

Dirtdigger

Thank you all for wellcomes, encouraging words and advice!
Thats great idea to put date on the piece and i will hang it on the wall next to my work table like you suggested!
I have tried to find a good guide how to draw basic scrolls so that they would flow smoothly, but havent found one yet. There was some old book online but it was way too long (and boring) read for my not so good english. I found this site few days back and was wondering if the "Basic scroll shading for traditional scrolls by Ray Cover" tutorial would be something that would be worth 20$ for beginner like me or would it be more advanced tutorial?
Maybe i should also explain little for the aluminum choise. I´m planning on engraving my old Kawasakis engine covers and few other aluminum parts when/if i learn to do decent engraving. And maybe would do some other motorcycle parts for friends too? So thought that i should practice on the medium i´m propably going to do most in future. Or would you think it´s still better to practice on copper or brass first?
And thank you again for great wellcomes!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome: based on your reply, intending to work a lot with aluminum-- you may as well become familiar with the material properties of the stuff you'll be working with. i dislike cutting aluminum. but one cant always cut what they like. as a newbie, you may (will likely) get requests to to engrave on all kinds of metal, on all manner of items. this is good. it gives one a better base to develop to their potential. different items come along that will seem impossible to hold or clamp properly. you'll learn how anyway. you'll find a particular chisel just will not work. you'll learn to make it work anyway.
now to your design: i like it. it does show a bit of inconsistency in your border cuts. practice will take care of that. your drawing could stand some improvement. for some, learning to draw well is way more difficult than learning graver control. after all, no matter the design, you are only cutting an assembly of curves and straight lines. as for learning scroll, i don't like the idea of trying to design the most complex first. i think you should learn the simplest first and build from there. there's many books and videos to learn from. you'd go broke just buying half of them. i'd advise the book by lee griffiths. his book is not expensive, and gives a good insight into developing scroll, as well as how to incorporate such into an area to be engraved.
lastly, learn to use a lubricant on aluminum. kerosene. mineral oil. tap magic-- too many to list. good luck, and thanks for posting.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also recommend Lee's book and DVD - they're great. Sam has videos you can download (so not only no shipping cost but no wait either). Ron Smith's books of scroll design will do you good as well.

Dirtdigger

Thank you for advice on the books and DVD.s!
I gave a quick look at Sam Alfanos online videos and Lee Griffiths book/DVDs and they look like books that i would need to get my scroll drawing on right track. I will look them closer when i have more time.
Funny thing that i didnt even thought of cutting fluid for aluminum even when i´m using cutting fluid on my milling machine and lathe all the time when cutting aluminum. I will get small pot of oil right next to my bowling ball wise.

Last edited:

Dirtdigger

In case some other newbie is reading this i can really recommend Sam Alfanos "The Essential Guide to Drawing Scrolls" online video. This video shows everything you need to know about scrolls from very start to advanced fancy scrolls and everything is shown and talked through thoroughly.

Altough there was some technical difficulties with video. I couldnt download the video on my computer even with the help of the online support. They would of wanted to have access to my computer to remotely adjust settings, but i rather just watch video online. Online watching was no problem at all.

And now i´ll go back to practice those scrolls.

Dirtdigger

I have been drawing a lot of those scrolls and yesterday i made this little practice engraving on another aluminum scrap i had laying around.
I think i have somekind of clue now how those scrolls should flow, but still need A LOT of practice! Especially those shadow lines are difiicult to get on line with eatch other.
I think i need to get some flat black paint too for blackening since my black sharpie isnt sticking too well at some spots.
Again all advice and critique is very wellcome!
This one is 5cm x 7cm in size and done on 10mm aluminum.

IMG_4358.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsors