Little lettering practise

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Spent most of the day engraving stuff. I'm trying to get better drawing my script out rather than being a transfer slave

I'm getting there. Still got long road ahead of me

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
Getting along, nicely, but try to make sure to make the letters stand evenly. Also, a good way to create flow is to draw the letters around ovals. This makes your es and your os, as well as all the other letters, fit nicely together.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
is this a practice plate, or a gift for someone ? it is a difficult path engravers travel. some get there fairly quickly, some not so quick. all get there by the simple will to practice till you're sick of it, then do some more till the sickness leaves. i do like the large letters, nice control there.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam, in his lettering video shows how he does his layout lines. doing the ovals as suggested, with a bit of a slant, and using the layout lines will force you to get better, more consistent.after all, consistency in the script will tend to take the eye away from a spot or two that could use a bit of improvement.

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
I think you should make your letters much smaller - 3-4mm
It is easier to keep smooth lines if they are short.
Repetition is key also. My recent practice has been to do may last name over and over so I can sign pieces quickly and it looks good.
It becomes easier to see how the letters are formed and how they are spaced in your mind's eye by repetition.

Also - a trick we learned in Sam's class was to cut only the lines that run in one direction at once, for the whole word.
Then go back and do the lines that go in another direction. Finish with hairlines to connect the letters.
Your letters will be more parallel and rhythmic this way, and there is much less time spent spinning your work and getting reoriented for each cut.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Whenever I do lettering, I always start cutting from the back, i.e. from right to left. That way my mind doesn't get confused with "words" and I can concentrate on just the cutting of the letters.

Latest posts

Sponsors