another centering gizmo

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this is based on a plate by brian powley. his plate was modified by ray flick. i added my own touch to make it even more easily made with minimum tools.
the powley/flick versions were made for thermoloc. since i only use t loc for jigs & fixtures, there are no grooves or holes in my version. mine will be for hotmelt glue.
my version allows one the freedom to choose your own dimensions. it also replaces the holes with notches. this way, no precision alignment is needed. i'm currently doing a granite tombstone, and wont try this till next week.
mssrs. powley & flick both gave permission for me to post this.

Attachments

• BAR.JPG
    BAR.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 759
  • DISK FOTO.JPG
    DISK FOTO.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 750
  • INSTRUCTIONS.JPG
    INSTRUCTIONS.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 745
  • BAR FOTO.jpg
    BAR FOTO.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 743
  • BAR.JPG
    BAR.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Nice to see Monk taking the concept and adapting it to your requirements that's what thinking out of the box is all about i only made mine with the hole because i wanted the accurate index.
Ray

monk

Staff member
toad: that sure is a beauty. why is the bar so long ? are those detent balls ? is this "cnc" , or crank turning ? just curious. yours is way prettier than mine. i tried to make a way to go as lo-tech as possible. the way mine was made, anybody could make it with no machineshop techno stuff. thanks for posting

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, I used a shoulder(stripper) bolt for it to pivot on and 2 detent balls for indexing. i was gonna do something similar to your design, but I didn't want to have the knob to get in the way. So chose to use the detent balls.
Todd

Last edited:

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
I wanted the bar long just in case I needed the movement. This can be made on a drill press. Use a ball end mill for the detent positions.

monk

Staff member
toad: i cheated. didn't have a decent countersunk bolt, so i cut the head off a 1/2" bolt, then cut the bolt to correct length. as you can see, i made the index pin from a 1/4-20 bolt. if i notice the "key" getting in the way, ill change to a lower profile-- maybe a long setscrew.
btw: if you made that one on a drillpress, that's a whale of a job ! tyvm for the info.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors