Marking Gauge recommendations

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think I'm going to go with the one that Dave recommended and do some modifications myself.

Saludos,
Carlos

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, while you're on this little adventure, pick up some pinstriping tape as DKanger mentioned. Comes in several widths and once you stretch it across a given space, you have an instant perfectly straight line. Of course it's not as nice as having a nifty brass tool that will look nice on the bench!
Several folks have mentioned altering dividers and this works well for some applications. If you take a pair of inexpensive Starrett type dividers and cut one leg very short, resharpen and polish the other, you can do pretty well with it.
Have fun!
Layne

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's Steve Lindsay's new border scribing tool:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
shown are 2 fotos. 1 shows a starret, and 2 i made. the starret is unique that the blade or scribe is vertically adjustable. it could easily utilize a softer marking blade.
the other shows a brass clamp i got on ebay for 9 bucks. i am going to modify this into a marking gage. the bar is 6mm square, about 300mm long. i intend to modify this to somewhat resemble one sam showed. to do this, a jewelers saw, maybe a drill press, and soldering would be the only requirements

Attachments

• STARRET.JPG
    STARRET.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 48
  • BRASS CLAMP.JPG
    BRASS CLAMP.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 49