Marking Gauge recommendations

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
for it to have enogh clearance on the gauge to slide along the curved section, the top of a 1911 slide, for example. The ones ive seen the stop is round and small seems great for resting against flat surfaces.

I remember reading a thread, if my mind serves me right, people posted thiers and I saw one, just cant find it. Ive been doing OK with dividers, but I want to achieve perfection in my borders, or etched lines for inlay, many uses.

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought mine at an antique store. It's similar to the ones maplesm mentions above.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray Cover made some at one time that you may be thinking of also Sam has one that is also what you may want. All are similar to wood marking gauge but much smaller and metal. Paul Hammler may have or know of what your looking for. Fred

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Or Carlos you can adapt a cheap divider see photo.;)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 343

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
I made one similar to Ray Cover's. All ya need is couple pieces of round brass or steel, 8-32 set screws and scriber from a divider.

Todd

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What I have in mind. Let me know your thoughts, it can be used for smaller and larger items.

If anybody wants to make me one and be called awesome.

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos
Lee valley has what you are looking for , a three in one marking gauge. About $25.00 Don't know how to add the link

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Starrett has a marking gauge with a round flange on it, in which the rod with the scriber slides upon. They've carried them for many years, and this may be what you mentioned. It's a lifetime tool, if not abused, but, be prepared to pay $$ for them, as compared to most other stuff on the market. Take a look at them, as I'm sure any competent Machinist could knock one out on the lathe, and drill & tap it, in short order.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
carlos" for marking , not all gauges are spplicable to every job. your idea-- take a length of all thread, cut a slot in the front. and drill it for a piece of copper wire or similar. cut the face of wood, metal, plastic-- whatever. drill & tap to match the allthread. quick to make, and if it doesn't serve your needs, nothin lost in the venture. i posted some time ago a foto of dividers i modified. there's so many ways (versions) one could make. i never used a gsuge on a gun, mostly jewelry and small stuff.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i can make you one. if you're unabl to do it. be advised, the postage would cost way more than the one i would make. if you want one, just send me dimensions of the oval face

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is one that I use for spotting holes and lines. You just put a brad in the desired hole.

I also use 3M pinstriping tape for long straight lines. Just lay it down and mark or engrave alongside of it.

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos, would this work for you? I got this design from Ray Cover. I made it myself with a drill press, etc..
Todd

image.jpg

Last edited:

leo

Elite Cafe Member
If you go to lee valley woodworking catalog there is a page like at the beginning i cant remenber the exact number bit it full of them in different sizes and shape and there is a thread by sam in it and even show you one that was given to him by one of his teachers