Laskin's Engraving Filler

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I tried something similar years ago which was a stiff, waxy material probably better suited for darkening engraved mother of pearl inlays.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Details

Available again! Master engraver William Laskin's legendary filler stick accents delicate lines on shell and pearl inlay (works on metal, too).

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when i bought a new hermes, several similar sticks were included. in not too much time, they dried out and becane useless for anything.

bblake

I use it for pearl inlays which is its intended purpose. I really don't think it would suit metal. Even wiping it out, it's very easy to tear it out of the pearl and have to redo it in patches. As it hardens, it lasts quite well on inlay.
I keep it in a sealed baggie to stop it drying out.
These are some practice pieces I did a while ago. About an inch high. I wanted to get used to doing some finer work in pearl shell.

Last edited:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
The stick shown looks very similar to the type McMaster-Carr sells in a variety of colors, and I don't know if they still carry them. They run the ad as a "lacquer stick", and I sent a few to a friend who fills in worn lines & numerals on surveying instruments he rebuilds. They do skin over, and you need to cut through to get to the substrate. They're designed that way. I'm going on another seek-and-find mission to locate what I have left, and will get back to the readership on my findings and usefullness as they've been setting around for years.

Latest posts

Sponsors