Here is a little "A" I wrote ...

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Letter "A" in a leaf script version I'd like to show - cut in Copper (smoooth ...!). Dimensions of the plate are about 75 x 55 millimeters.

leaf-script.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, Beautiful engraving work that we normally see from your studio. It would seem to me and the sprits know I can make errors from time to time, that on script style should read left to right unless they are letters written right to left. Love the letter just the starter I have problem with -but as they say in this discipline "to each his own" -Fred

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, I am stunned by how far your work has progressed in the last couple years! One thing I believe has really made a difference is when you ask for advice and somebody goes to the time & trouble to help you, we can immediately see that you have taken it heart and applied the lesson correctly. You are a very "teachable" student and well on your way to becoming a great engraver. :thumbsup:

On the other hand, it frustrates me seeing some people continue to repeat the same mistakes after they've been told numerous times that they're doing something wrong or should change something to improve their work. :beatup:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for your kind comments and likes!
@Fred and Mitch
I don't know much about the common rules, really. Through the years the scrolls and leafs became a part of my thoughts (and sometimes of my sleep). These little lines, dots and dashes - to me they are still mystical, something of a wonderful magic story. "Story" is the headword - if I look to an engraved canvas, I try "to read the story". When I was completely new to all of this, I wasn't able to "read", it was a unknown language, I didn't understand. But I loved the tonality right from the start. If you take a look at one of my very first attempts at engraving (below posted) - this was exactly what I saw at that time. I imitated, what I "saw". Perhaps this is the point, we all start at?

chalkholder_2.jpg

However, by now the elements (a leaf or a scroll) are telling me something, they express something and they interact with themselves and the canvas. The challenge to me is, to do it coherently - less or more ;) with a harmonious overall picture.

some of my sketches below

leaf-script_entwurf-sarto.jpg

If you take a look to the A, you will see, all grows from on direction - this was the only decision i made knowingly. The rest happened on its own.

I'm deeply grateful for all hints you share.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario my friend and fellow student, What I refer to in your Beautiful engraving of the letter A is that if you wrote the single line letter in cursive you would begin with the up stroke of the left side (this might have the c shaped flourish at the beginning) you would make the little circle at the top (might just end and make a down stroke) then make the down stroke of the right leg. This could have a flourish at the end as well. With that said the point of origin will be either the bottom of the left hand up stroke of the c shaped flourish. The cross bar is either a separate stroke or would come from the end of the tail on the down stroke (which would be very awkward for me to write)on the right. That is all I meant by point of origin. It is a beautiful letter and would make a wonderful pendent or single letter monogram. Outstanding work. Give some thought to how you write the letter. I am not the expert on this or any other lettering this was just an observation.

There is a very long thread on here that goes of each and every letter in copperplate penmanship. Engraver's Script Instruction http://www.engraverscafe.com/showth...ript-Instruction&highlight=copperplate+script

Your sketches are beautiful. Fred

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It would be a wonderful world if all our customers could appreciate and pay for this type of lettering. Sadly these jobs are few and far between.
Beautifully cut!
Layne

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
mario" a superb execution. i esp like the 2 penetrations. the area surrounding them gives a marvelous three dimensional effect to the engraving. your shading is a perfect example of how to create the illusion of depth, when none exists. thanks for showing.
when comparing your first that you showed, to the letter you engraved-- holy cow ! what a transformation you have undergone. you are to be congratulated for such ! :clapping:

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I find the flow and leaf folds to be very pleasing!!! The shading is top notch! I just really like this piece of work. I too agree that I wish more people liked this type of work done on pendants and the like.

Donny