Brass info

Edward Soye

I am working with a customer who wants components made for high end handbags, I am interested in finding out what materials work best for these type of items, we are looking for two colours non precious metal that will hold its finish and not tarnish. Yellow brass and white metal

I have not worked with these materials and some parts will have to be die struck and others will be cast and finished. My only experience with brass it cutting metal molds and practicing with my new GRS tools.

Years ago we tried casting and it was too smokey for the enclosed casting machine to work and I don't have the patience to torch melt for castings to spoiled I guess?

What metal holds a finish and keeps its colour and engraving etc.

Will I have to cast with brass and then process and plate it etc.

Any advise would be appreciated

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

I have done a lot of casting and have used this material in place of gold for example pieces.

Here is a link for casting shot. There are a another alloy so check out rio grande.

This stuff is also known as cartridge brass.(higher copper content)

Link to specs of what you are looking for:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190561159285?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Works like gold.. tumbler polished with brass polish and corncob like in reloading, keeps a great finish. It could be gold flashed or lacquer coated.

White metal I would recommend Zink instead of L39.

L39 White metal ( lead, tin and traces of other metals) is too brittle and cracks and breaks.
Junk jewelry was Rhode Island's clam to fame. Spin casting L39 and barrel plated of JJ.
That also has to be flash plated..

AirAmp

Last edited:

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
You ever heard of a company called cerakote ? Gun smith I use invented the stuff but a few years ago they came out with a clear coat. Satin an gloss of I'm not mistaken. Any way this stuff is like a tank. I have a pistol with 100,000 rounds down the pipe an it's just now starting to get wear on the edges. I would imagine it would last a life time if applied to brass and would probably help keep your engraving intact longer... Just a thought

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
brass can make for some really interesting items. it must be protected against tarnishing. moreso if it's a piece that will contact a persons' hands. i personally like the appearance of a patina on brass, if not too dark. stainless steel and titanium are a couple more that can be used on such projects. unlike brass, the ss and ti will keep their original color for a long time.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
beladran: sounds like some very useful stuff. is it baked on ? or like some sort of epoxy ?

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Stuff is amazing. There is two types a air dry an a bake on. Its technical a ceramic polymer. There is another gun coating that is A++ that is done here locally made Walter birdsong. Called black T. But they never made a clear option in that.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know what they put in the engraved lines on machinist six inch scales but I have some that are over 75 years old and used nearly daily for at least fifty of those years and are as black as the day they were made. Al sorts of brands like Starlet, Eclipse, Sears, and Johnson tool. Often wondered about calling one of them to find out their tech.

Everything will tarnish or come off in time with rubbing from normal wear except as I mentioned above. Emeron clear coat car paint is about as hard of paint as I know of. Used on motorcycle frames. Fashion designers have been looking for hardware forever that will stay looking new. I think they have decided that the purse will be out of fashion before current finishes rub off. Fred

Edward Soye

I think I will run a couple of tests and see what the client likes best maybe run silver, brass and zinc and then see how the finish and plate etc.

What is your opinion on PVD finishing? when I worked retail the Tissot watches used it instead of plating because they claimed it lasted longer

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the hint. They used to make a white lead paste that was used in wooden and canvas covered canoes. Jim Kelso used to be a wood boat builder. He might be able to shed some light on this. I am going to try and find out more about this. it would be the best engraving blackening around, flat black and stays for ever in even the shallowest cuts. Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors